Balmerino, Fife

  • Balmerino Abbey

    Balmerino Abbey is set back from the roadside behind a low wall in landscaped grounds overlooking the Tay to the west. The site is in a ruined state although it is maintained by the National Trust for Scotland.  It was originally fo...


    7 photos
  • Balmerino Old Church

    This Church of Scotland church was built c.1560 and demolished in 1811. No visible trace of the site remains. It may have been on the site of a more recent cemetery on raised ground to the north west of Balmerino Abbey. The location appe...


    5 photos
  • Balmerino Parish Kirk

    This church was originally built in 1811 and then remodelled in 1884 by the architects C & L Ower. It was originally built with rectangular windows and doors and ornamented by a Gothic bellcote on the west gable. The pointed windows ...


    40 photos
  • Birkhill

    Part of a cross was found at Birkhill, although the original position of the cross is unknown.

  • Birkhill Old chapel

    This ruined chapel is located on a slight knoll at approximately 60m OD to the east of an unnamed burn and west of the drive to Birkhill.

  • Chapel of Naughton

    Nothing remains of this site above ground. RCHAMS Canmore database provides the following information:  

    "The Chapel of Naughton is mentioned in some 12th - 13th century charters as being 'adjacent' to the church of...


    2 photos
  • Gauldry Parish Church

    This church was built in 1867 as a free church. It is in eastern Gauldry, on the south side of Main Street.


    7 photos