Burntisland, Fife

  • Binnend Mission Church

    The village at Binnend grew up as a result of the expansion of the shale oil works in the area in 1881 following a change of ownership. The village was in two parts, the High Binn and the Low Binn and in 1889 a Mission Church was establishe...

  • Burgh Chambers

    Before 1880 the few Catholics in the town met in a variety of locations, such as a former sail loft, in the 1870s.   However, numbers began to increase in the 1880s, mainly as a result of the influx of workers associated with t...


    8 photos
  • Burntisland Parish Church

     

    This church was constructed in 1594-6 and was one of the first post-Reformation churches built in Scotland. It was a replacement for the original Parish Church in Kirkton (site number: 2182), because inc...


    25 photos
  • Coupar Kirk

    In 1843 four hundred and seventy four ministers broke away from the Church of Scotland and took roughly one third of the Church's congregation with them, in an event known as the Disruption. Two prominent figures in this event in Burntis...


    3 photos
  • Erskine Church

    The site of a mid-18th century High Street church originally established by the Associate Presbytery.   The Associated Presbytery Church was formed from the first secession, which was from 1733-40 and was led by Ebenezer E...


    9 photos
  • Erskine Church (site of)

     

    This church was constructed in 1743 as an Associated Presbytery Church, a new group within the established Church. The Associated Presbytery Church was formed from the first secession, which was from 173...


    3 photos
  • St Joseph's Catholic Church

    The Catholic congregation in Burntisland in the 1870s was small and as a result they met in various small temporary locations, such as a sail loft. However, the growing shale oil industry brought increasing numbers of Catholics to the a...


    6 photos
  • St. Andrew's Church of Scotland (now St. Andrew's Court)

    This church was constructed in 1860-61 as the new home of the Free Church congregation who had previously worshipped in the former warehouse opposite the Parish Church (site  9476). The denomination of the church changed several tim...


    8 photos
  • St. Serf's Old Kirk

    The remains of this church are in the centre of Kirkton graveyard (in which are also the remains of Burntisland Old Parish Church, site 2183).   The church of Parva Kinghorn (Little Kinghorn) is said to have been dedicated to S...


    11 photos
  • St. Serf's Scottish Episcopal Church

    This church, which was constructed in 1903-5, is on a site in a residential area just to the north of the town's main street.   The site was acquired by the Episcopal Church in the late 1870s after the death of Rev. George Hay ...


    18 photos
  • The Lochies Catholic Church

    Site of the former Lochies Catholic Church on Kinghorn Road.   In the 1870s there were only a small number of Catholics in Burntisland and because of this they used whatever accommodation they could find for their services. The...


    3 photos