Culross, Fife

  • Balgownie House Hospital

    A hospital was founded on the western side of the village in 1639 by George Bruce of Carnock for the care of sick women from the parish. The hospital was demolished in 1765 and the site now lies within the grounds of Balgownie House. It is ...


    1 photo
  • Culross Abbey

    This site is situated on a hillside overlooking the town of Culross. The Cistercian Abbey was founded by Malcolm the 7th Earl of Fife in 1215 for the monks of Kinloss, Moray. Although the church was built in the thirteenth century the co...


    31 photos
  • Culross Free Church

    Cunninghame House is situated on the main thoroughfare through Culross and is of rectangular plan. The south, north and east (main) elevations are built hard on the roadside. The Wee Causeway runs to the rear of the building and is paved...


    4 photos
  • Culross West Church

    Situated to the northwest of Culross within West Kirk Churchyard and surrounded by agricultural land, this was the former parish church of Culross. It was replaced by the Abbey Parish Church (site number: 1642) by an Act of Parliament of...


    17 photos
  • St. Mungo's Chapel

    Situated on the roadside 0.5km from the centre of Culross are the remains of St. Mungo's chapel. The chapel was built in 1503 and marks the site traditionally ascribed as being the birth place of St. Mungo. It is therefore possible that ...


    2 photos
  • St. Serf's Church

    Built in 1871, this private Episcopal Church is situated in the grounds of Dunimarle Castle, which is located to the west of Culross. The church was deconsecrated in 1970 and converted into a mausoleum. It is currently not in use and the wi...

  • St. Serf's Roman Catholic Church

    Designed by Reginald Fairlie, a Fife architect who was responsible for the design of a number of Catholic churches in Scotland in the 1920s and 30s. The red arched brick surrounds to the main door were favoured by the Catholic church, in...


    5 photos
  • Valleyfield Church of Scotland

    Originally built to house the cashier from the nearby Valleyfield pit in the 1920s, the church has a domestic appearance with both main doors retained from the former semi-detached single storey dwelling. The front drive has been tarmack...


    3 photos