Cupar, Fife

  • Baptist Church (now Cupar Age Concern)

    This church faces west onto Provost Wynd and has now been secularised. It is built from sandstone, which is coursed on the principal elevation, and has a piended roof. The church was built in 1830 as a Relief church and it was used by th...


    5 photos
  • Blackfriars Dominican Convent

    A Dominican convent built c. 1348, and previously located at the eastern end of St. Catherine Street. The remains of the site were cleared in the early nineteenth century when the street was redeveloped.


    2 photos
  • Bonnygate Baptist Church

    Cupar Baptist Church was built in 1866 as a United Presbyterian Church. It faces south onto Bonnygate, which is the main thoroughfare through Cupar. Railings surround the building.

     


    14 photos
  • Boston United Free Church

    The earliest church on this site was a Relief Church, built in c. 1770. It was situated facing north onto the main road through Cupar, Westport. This church was demolished c.1849 and the United Presbyterian Church was built on the site. ...


    1 photo
  • Burnside United Presbyterian Church

    This church was first used in the 1830s and was situated on the corner of East Burnside and Bishopgate, facing south. The church consists of a two storey sandstone building with a gabled, slate roof and an apsidal projection on the south...


    6 photos
  • Cupar Antiburgher Church

    Completed in 1796 this Anti-Burgher Church was located on Burnside in Cupar. In 1830 the Burnside United Presbyterian Church (site number: 10512) was built on this site, incorporating fragments from the Anti-Burgher Church.


    3 photos
  • Cupar Burgher Chapel

    Built in 1819, the Cupar Burgher Chapel stood at the foot of Tannery Brae, facing north onto Burnside and only a few metres away from the Antiburgher Church (site number: 10515). In 1839 the congregation united with the Church of Scotlan...


    2 photos
  • Cupar Episcopal Chapel

    This building which was built in 1820, was replaced in 1866 by St. James the Great Scottish Episcopal Church (site number: 1052). No trace of the original site remains.


    1 photo
  • Cupar Free Church

    A now-demolished Free Church built in 1844, situated on the east side of South Union Street, or Mouse Wynd as it was known at the time.


    1 photo
  • Cupar Masonic Hall

    This building was used as an overflow church for Cupar Parish Church (site number: 1044) in 1836, prior to the construction of St. Michael's Chapel of Ease, Westport (site number: 8408).


    1 photo
  • Cupar Old & St Michael of Tarvit

    Cupar Old and St. Michael of Tarvit Parish Church (site number: 1044) was formed by the union of St. Michael of Tarvit Church with the remains of the earlier parish church, built in 1415, much of which was removed to make way for the new...


    33 photos
  • Former Kirkgate Chapel

    A church was built on this site in 1821 for the Baptist denomination. In 1849 the baptist congregation moved to the Baptist Church on Provost Wynd (site number: 4703).

    An 1854 Ordnance Survey Town Plan of Cupar records the sit...

    Cupar Campbellite Chapel
    2 photos
  • Millgate Catholic Church

    A former Catholic church and priest's residence. The building is currently in use by St. Columba's Primary School.


    1 photo
  • Springfield Church

    This church was built in 1861 to replace a Mission Church. It is in Springfield, to the southeast of Cupar. It sits in landscaped grounds behind a coped wall.


    25 photos
  • St. Christopher's Church

    The first parish church of Cupar was located to the north of the town centre, near Kinloss House. It is visible only as an earthwork.


    1 photo
  • St. Columba's Roman Catholic Church

    St. Columba's was built in 1964 by Peter Whiston. It is a circular, harled building with a distinctive Scottish slate roof and chimney spire. The church is situated on the corner of Kirkgate and Lovers Lane o the south west of the parish...

    View of site from northwest
    14 photos
  • St. James the Great Scottish Episcopal Church

    The south, gabled front of the church faces onto St. Catherine Street  on the former site of Blackfriars Convent (site no: 1043) and an earlier Episcopal chapel of 1820 (site no: 10514

     


    21 photos
  • St. John's Church of Scotland

    This church was built between 1875 and 1878 by Campbell Douglas and Sellars, architects, of Glasgow, as a Free Church and opened for worship on 28 November 1878.   Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the F...


    15 photos
  • St. Michael's Chapel of Ease

    This church was built in 1837 to accommodate the growing congregation of Cupar parish, which previously met in the Masonic Lodge on Bonnygate (site 10511). The church is not currently in use and was until recently used as a gymnasium by ...


    9 photos
  • St. Michael's Church of Tarvit

    St. Michael's was a small separate parish and the church was probably the earliest foundation in Cupar Burgh. It was situated on the south side of the River Eden. The church maintained a separate congregation until the early seventeenth ...


    1 photo