Places of Worship in Dunfermline Parish in Fife Region

  • Abbot Hall

    Abbot Hall has been a place of worship since 1914 and is where a Brethren group meet. It is a meeting hall and located in Wilson’s Close, close to Dunfermline Abbey. Only the western elevation of the building is visible as it is su...

    General view of west elevation
    7 photos
  • Abbots House

    Abbots House has a long and interesting history. It is situated close to Dunfermline Abbey and partly built on the original perimeter wall of the abbey. It originally served as a residence for the Abbey and its administrative headqu...

    Abbots House, Dunfermline
    2 photos
  • Apostolic Church

    It has been recorded that an Apostolic Church once stood on the southern side of Pittencrief Street near the junction with Bridge Street.   This church has now been demolished and late twentieth century private housing now...


    2 photos
  • Baptist Church

    This church was built at a cross roads in central Dunfermline with three hundred and ten sittings in 1834. In 1841 the congregation split; those adhering to Scottish Baptist principals remained at this church whilst those adopting English B...

  • Brucefield Church

    This corrugated iron church was  adjacent to the current St. Leonard's Parish Church (site  4683). This "tin kirk" preceded the St. Leonard's church, which was built in 1902-4 using a bequest from William McLaren, a Dunfermline...


    1 photo
  • Buffie's Brae Chapel

    This former place of worship is a cottage in a narrow street called Buffie's Brae, Dunfermline. The congregation that used it formed in 1948 when they split from the nearby Chapel Street church (SCHR site no.10620), with whom t...

    Probable site of chapel
    1 photo
  • Canmore Street Church

    The Old Licht faction of the Burgher Church was established in 1798 and the Old Licht congregation in Dunfermline established a church on Canmore Street in the following year.   It later became a Church of Scotland quoad sacra ...


    3 photos
  • Chapel Kirk

    After the death of the Rev. Thomas Gillespie in 1774 (Gillespie had played a key role in founding the Relief Church) part of his congregation campaigned for ministerial and Christian communion within the established church. After five yea...


    2 photos
  • Chapel of St Margaret

    After the death of Queen Margaret in 1093 and her subsequent canonization in 1251, a chapel was built at the east of the original chancel of Dunfermline Abbey (which she had founded) in the 14th century to house her and he...

    St Margaret's Chapel
    3 photos
  • Church of Christ

     

    This Church of Christ was formerly a Church of Scotland Mission Hall, at the western end of Pittencrieff Street, set back from the road behind a restaurant. The building is a...


    2 photos
  • Conventual Buildings, Dunfermline Abbey

    This is the site of early medieval conventual buildings, which are located within the ruins of Dunfermline Abbey in the 'Fraser Range'. The original conventual buildings of the Abbey were destroyed by Edward ! in 1303, but restoration wo...

  • Destiny Church

    Destiny Church is a fairly new congregation in Dunfermline. They currently meet in modern premises on an industrial estate but are raising funds to acquire a more suitable building, closer to the town centre of Dunfermline.

    J Dow...

    View of principal (north east) elevation
    5 photos
  • Dunfermline Abbey

    The Benedictine Abbey in Dunfermline had its origins in the foundation c. 1070 by Queen Margaret, wife of King Malcolm III, of a monastery dedicated to the Hoy Trinity.   It is assumed by several authorities that the church to ...


    80 photos
  • Dunfermline Abbey, Nether Yett

    The Nether Yett was a 14th century gateway into the precinct of Dunfermline Abbey (Yett translates as 'port' or gateway). It became ruinous after the 16th century Reformation, when the Abbey was dissolved, and the remaining structur...

  • Dunfermline Catholic Apostolic Congregation

    The New Statistical Account (1844-5) mentions that a Catholic Apostolic congregation at Dunfermline, founded in 1835, used to meet in rooms on Horsemarket Street. The account lists their membership at approximately 40.

    A...

  • Dunfermline Spiritualist Church

    This place of worship is in a row of mid-late nineteenth century terraced houses at the western end of a narrow lane, which is inaccessible to vehicles. The church occupies the ground floor of a two-stor...


    3 photos
  • East Church, Dunfermline

    A new Church of Scotland congregation was established in east Dunfermline in 2003 to serve the growing population and new housing estates in the Dulock area of the city. This new congregation had no fixed meeting place for the ...

    General view of church
    9 photos
  • East Port Almshouse (site of)

    The site of a former almshouse near Dunfermline’s east port, historically documented but without any visible standing remains.

  • Erskine Parish Church

    This rectangular plan church (as seen on 1967 OS map sheet NT 08 NE) was first proposed in 1939 but was not completed until 1952, presumably due to the outbreak of World War II. The church has now been demolished and the Headwell Communi...


    1 photo
  • Fellowship of Christ

    This small church building is located on a residential street a short distance north of Pittencrieff Park and Dunfermline Abbey and Palace. It was originally built in the grounds of a private villa, Woodhead Cottage (built in the 1830s),...

    View from west
    6 photos
  • Former Salvation Army

    This building was formerly the Salvation Army citadel in Dunfermline in which the Salvation Army met for one hundred and fifty years, before moving to their current building in Pilmuir Street in 1952 (site 6503).   This buildin...


    3 photos
  • Former Vine Fellowship

    The former meeting place of the Vine Fellowship in Dunfermline, on the corner of Bruce Street and Winterthur Lane was originally a Linen Mill, but the buildngs are currently owned by Thomson’s World of Furniture.


    5 photos
  • Free Abbey Church

    After the Disruption (1843) the Free Church congregation in Dunfermline purchased the chapel of ease on Canmore Street (originally a Burgher church, site no. 10599). This building was immediately demolished and replaced by the Abbey and Can...


    1 photo
  • Gillespie Centre (Former Church)

    The Gillespie Centre is a former 19th century church that is located alongside the Gillespie Memorial Church, in the centre of Dunfermline. It was built in 1891 and was for a long time used by the Church of Christ. It fell out ...


    3 photos
  • Gillespie Memorial Church

    The Gillespie Memorial Church has a history that stretches back to the mid 18th century. In 1752, local minister Thomas Gillespie left the Church of Scotland after a dispute and, with two other preachers, formed the Relief Church. S...


    6 photos
  • Headwell Community Church

    This church is in a residential area on the northern side of Dunfermline.   It is on the site of the now demolished Erskine Parish Church (site 10681).   It has a central octagonal bay and an additional L-plan bay sur...

    General view of building
    7 photos
  • HMS Cochrane Chapel, Rosyth

    HMS Cochrane was a large shore establishment of the Royal Navy, which was commissioned in 1938. It was named after Admiral Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald. It was used extensively during World War 2, where it was expanded an...

    HMS Cochrane Naval Base
    1 photo
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal Church

    Holy Trinity Episcopal Church is located a short distance north-east of Dunfermline Palace and Abbey, close to the town centre. It is in a mostly residential area, with streets on the north and west sides and a parking area to the s...

    View from north east
    34 photos
  • King's Cellar, Limekilns

    The King's Cellar is thought to be the oldest building in Limekilns and was at one time used as a chapel. The current building is mostly 16th century in date, although it is recorded that monks used it as a chapel as early as ...

    The King's Cellar
    1 photo
  • King's Road Church

    There is currently little information about this place of worship. It's marked location is now where the inner dual carriageway (King's Road) through Dunfermline is situated and it would appear this church was demolished when the ro...

  • Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witnesses

    The Kingdom Hall is a modern building in Dunfermline, close to the Touch housing estate and alongside playing fields and a large school. It is built alongside the recently-laid out Garvock Bank road and is part of a redevelopment in...


    5 photos
  • Kingseat Parish Church

    This small church is located in the centre of Kingseat, a small village a short distance north west of Dunfermline. It borders one of the main streets in the village and sits within fenced garden grounds. It was built in 1...

    General view of church from south west
    17 photos
  • Liberty Church, Queen Anne High School

    Liberty Church was established in 1979 and was originally called the Dunfermline Christian Fellowship. They have met in a number of buildings since their creation and owned and met in the former Masonic Hall in Priory Lane (see separate ...

  • Limekilns Parish Church

     The Church and Manse are built on a geological feature known as The Upper Raised Beach, a bed of very firm sand originally deposited in primeval times.   The present Limekilns Parish church was reconstructed in 1826, from...


    7 photos
  • Link Church

    Link Church is a large, ornate building, which dates to the early 20th century and was built as a Masonic Hall. It was designed by architects Crawford & Fraser and opened in 1913. Its fine Classical design has remained more or less i...

    View of the principal elevation from north east
    15 photos
  • Masonic Lodge

    The first Masonic lodge in the town was built in at Millport in 1762. Two subsequent lodges were then built, in Bridge Street and Maygate. The Maygate lodge was used by several different congregations in the nineteenth century and was later...

  • Masonic Lodge

    The Baptist Church is known to have met in a Masonic Lodge in Bridge Street from 1810, and may have been the first Baptists in Dunfermline. The exact location of the Lodge is not known, and the co-ordinates given show an approximate locatio...

    Probable site of lodge
    1 photo
  • Masonic Lodge (former church)

     

    Situated near the centre of the town, this church was built in 1861-2 to replace an earlier United Presbyterian church on the same site (formerly an Antiburgher church, see site no. 10598). The church ch...


    3 photos
  • Maygate Baptist Chapel

    This church was built by a Methodist congregation in 1815-16 on a site directly north of Dunfermline Abbey.   Whilst the congregation, which had formed in 1814, were waiting for their permanent place of worship to be built they...


    2 photos
  • Mission Hall

    This school was built in 1816-17 to replace an earlier school, built in 1625. which was slightly to the south of the 1817 school, on the site now occupied by the Post Office.   The old school building was located almost directl...

  • New Abbey Parish Kirk

    A Benedictine monastery and church founded by Queen Margaret of Scotland c. 1090 was established with abbey status by King David I of Scotland in 1128.    After the Reformation of the 1560s the east chancel end of the orig...

    Southern elevation
    18 photos
  • New Life Community Church

    This Church of Scotland mission hall, known as St Margaret's Mission Hall,  was built in the latter half of the nineteenth century on a small plot of land which slopes gently downwards to the south, set slightly back from, and lower...


    4 photos
  • North Congregational Church

    This church was built in 1842 in the centre of Dunfermline, almost directly opposite the St. Andrew's Erskine Church (site no. 4684). In 1891 the Episcopal congregation moved to a new church at Viewfield (Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, s...


    4 photos
  • North Inglis Street Music Hall

    A congregation of English Baptists met in a music hall in North Inglis Street for a time. They formed in 1841 and had broken away from the James Street Baptist congregation (site separate site). It is not known for how long they wo...

  • North Parish Church

    Originally built as a chapel of ease in 1840, this church is on the northern side of the town at the top of a slope which rises up from the south. The location of the church with its prominent bellcote and spire on the principal (south) ...

    General view of church
    29 photos
  • Our Lady of Lourdes

    This church was built in 1966 as a chapel of ease to accommodate the growing population living in this area of the town.   It is beside a main road in a tarmac precinct which  is fronted by stepped coped walls topped with ...


    29 photos
  • Perdieus Mound Site

    A large earthen mound, to the south of Netherton and near the confluence of the Lyne and Tower burns. The original purpose and nature of the site is contested, but it may have been a site of pilgrimage and penance. This is reinforce...

  • Pitreavie Castle Chapel

    Introduction

    Pitreavie Castle was built c.1630 for Sir Henry Wardlaw of Balmule, who had acquired the lands in 1608.   After several changes in ownership the castle was abandoned in the mid eighteenth century, before ...


    2 photos
  • Pitreavie's Hospital

    The only reference traced is from fieldwork notes by R.McEwan, this is to a church founded in 1675 with 'four rooms still standing in favour of four widows' ;   this only mentions Masterton, Dunfermline, but refers to it as a c...

    Possible Original Location of Pitreavie Hospital
    1 photo
  • Pitreavie, Isolated Burial

    This is the site of an isolated burial, outwith a graveyard. It was discovered within the grounds of Pitreavie Castle and is not a place of worship. It is not apparent whether the burial is connected to the castle or was earlier.

  • Relief Church

    This congregation was founded in 1752 and the Relief church was built in 1775. The building became dilapidated and was demolished in 1847 and a new building was to be constructed on the same site (the present Gillespie Church, site no. 4685...


    2 photos
  • Rosyth Baptist Church

    A modern church complex in Rosyth, on Queensferry Road between the Gothenburg Hotel and Tesco. The buildings are currently used by both the Baptist community and the Chinese Christian Fellowship.

  • Rosyth Methodist Church

    An ecumenical church with both Methodist and Episcopal services. Originally Methodist, the congregation was expanded with the closure of the Rosyth naval base in January of 1996, when the remaining Episcopal congregation of St Margaret&r...

  • Rosyth Old Parish Church

    Now ruinous, this church dates from the middle of the twelfth century. The land was granted to the Monastery of Inchcolm by Richard, Bishop of Dunkeld,  1170-1178.

    The north and east gable are the only visible remains of ...


    14 photos
  • Royal Palace, Dunfermline

    The ruins of the Royal Palace of Dunfermline are located in the grounds of Dunfermline Abbey and are joined to the Abbey via a pend. It was a favoured residence of many Scottish monarchs, including Malcolm III who first built the Pa...

    The Royal Palace, Dunfermline
    1 photo
  • Salvation Army

    This building is situated on a street corner, at the junction of Pilmuir Street and Campbell Street. The building is set directly onto the pavement with no surrounding precinct. Before moving to this building in the early 1950s, the...


    3 photos
  • Secession Church

    This was the first Secession Church in Dunfermline, established by the Reverend Ralph Erskine who seceded from the established church in approximately 1740. While the church was being constructed Erskine preached from a tent and barn locate...


    2 photos
  • Seventh Day Adventist Church

    The Seventh Day Adventist Church was built in 1952, although there had been Adventists in Dunfermline since 1934. It is in a residential area, directly beside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (site no. 4095), and in a grav...


    4 photos
  • Spital Crosshead

    The high part of the road about 1/4 mile South of St Leonard's Hospital was named "Spital Crosshead", from a pillar which, according to tradition, was erected there, decorated on top with a St Andrew's cross, and removed probably towards...

    Approximate location of cross
    1 photo
  • St Andrew and St George Episcopal Church, Rosyth

    St Andrew and St George Episcopal Church was a prefabricated building, constructed from poured concrete. It was located near to the centre of Rosyth in a residential area of the town. It was demolished in 1986 and there is currently litt...

  • St Andrew's Erskine Church

    This modern church is located in the north-western side of Dunfermline in an area locally known as the 'community corridor' as it houses a number of community facilities, including a hospital, doctors practise, shops and a...


    6 photos
  • St Andrew's Parish Church

    This church was built in 1833 to replace an earlier chapel of ease which had been on the same site (Chapel Kirk, site no. 10621). The earlier church was demolished due to its small size and this larger church was built to replace it. &nb...


    1 photo
  • St Andrews South Parish Church

     

    This church was built as a Free Church in 1847 and then became a United Free Church and later a Church of Scotland. In 1951 the congregation moved to a new church at Whitelaw Road (St. Ninian


    2 photos
  • St Andrews-Erskine Church

    This large rectangular building in the centre of Dunfermline  was constructed as a Burgher Church in 1798-1800.   It is situated in a raised paved precinct surrounded by stepped coped walls surmounted by iron railings.&nbs...

    Exterior
    14 photos
  • St Catherine's Chapel and Almshouse

    It is not clear when this chapel and almshouse (or hospital) were established but they are first referred to in a charter of Dunfermline Abbey in 1327, in which it is stated that the buildings stood outwith the West Port which ...


    3 photos
  • St John and St Columba Roman Catholic Church, Rosyth

    This Roman Catholic Church was opened in the early 1970s to serve the expanding population of Rosyth. It is on the north east corner of the junction of Admiraty Road (the A965, the main road through Rosyth) and Holbourn Ro...

  • St John's Chapel

    A chapel with an associated manse, well and glebe once stood in the area south of Garvock Hill.   St. John's Chapel is recorded in deeds as early as 1390 but no specific date for the construction of the building could be found....


    1 photo
  • St John's Parish Church

    This Free Church was built in 1849-50 close to the centre of Dunfermline.   It is in a commercial street, closely flanked by buildings on either side with an open cobbled area to the front (east).    The ground s...


    4 photos
  • St Leonard's Chapel and Hospital

    A thirteenth century chapel and hospital were situated just to the east of Dunfermline town centre on a site now occupied by the oldest part of St Leonard's School. It is possible that they were established by Queen Margaret, wife of Ale...

    Standing ruins (speculative)
    2 photos
  • St Leonard's Parish Church

    This church is in the Brucefield area of Dunfermline.    With its prominent circular plan tower it was built using a bequest from William McLaren, a manufacturer from Dunfermline. It  replaced an earlier �tin kirkï¿...


    10 photos
  • St Leonard's School, Burial Ground

    This is the site of a fairly large burial ground in Dunfermline, which was uncovered during the building of St Leonard's School in the late 19th century. It would have been associated with a church and is likely medieval in date. The bur...

    General view
    1 photo
  • St Margaret's Anglican Church, Rosyth Dockyards

    St Margaret's was one of two new churches built in the late 1960s to accomodate the needs of a growing population at Rosyth Dockyards, which was part of the large British naval base located here since the early 20th century. New barracks...

    St Margaret's Anglican Church
    2 photos
  • St Margaret's Cave

    This is a small, sacred cave that is associated with Queen Margaret, who is said to have prayed here regularly in the 11th century. It is claimed her husband, King Malcolm (1057-93) had the cave improved and embellished&nb...

    View of cave
    2 photos
  • St Margaret's Parish Church

    This church was built in 1974 for the congregation of the previous St. Margaret's church, on East Port (site 10425). The East Port St Margaret's was demolished in 1981 to allow for the building of a new headquarters for the Dunfermline B...


    4 photos
  • St Margaret's Parish Church

    This United Secession congregation was formed in 1825 after members of the Queen Anne Street congregation (site 4684) broke away during a dispute over the appointment of a minister.   The congregation leased the Maygate chapel ...


    2 photos
  • St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church

    The Roman Catholic congregation in Dunfermline was established in 1823 and at this time they met in the houses of two of the members. At this time they had no minister and as such mass was not conducted during these services. By 1851 the...

    Holyrood Place
    1 photo
  • St Margaret's Roman Catholic Memorial Church, Dunfermline

    This large church in Dunfermline was built between 1894-6 by renowned architect Rowand Anderson. It was built to provide permanent accomodation for the Roman Catholics in the town and was largely funded by the 3rd Marquess...

    General view of building from south
    43 photos
  • St Margaret's Stone

    This large stone measures approximately 2.6m long by 1.4m high and has been moved a number of times in more recent times. It was positioned in this location in Dunfermline upon the opening of a new road here in the late 1980s. The d...

  • St Margarets Episcopal Church

    Site of the demolished Chapel of St Margaret, an Episcopal church set up in Masterton to replace a previous venue at Abbey Cottage. The church was built in 1888 and consecrated by Bishop Wordsworth of St. Andrews on 25 May, 1889. With th...

  • St Mary's Chapel

    This chapel is said to have been towards the north end of what is now Elgin Street in Dunfermline. It may be a chapel referred to in charters as early as the fourteenth century, which mention a 'Lady Chapell near Dunfermling' and 'V...

    Probable site of chapel
    1 photo
  • St Mary's Convent

    This former convent is situated in a residential area in the centre of Dunfermline.   The small chapel which it originally housed was removed when the building was converted into a private residence.


    3 photos
  • St Michael's Chapel

    The exact location of this chapel is not known, but it is cited by RCAHMS as being a short distance from the east lodge of the Broomhall Estate, near Limekilns, in an area called Bell Hills or Bellshill. The chapel is mentioned prior to ...

  • St Ninian's Chapel

    Little is known about this chapel which stood near to the centre of Dunfermline. It is marked on a sixteenth century map of Dunfermline and this location roughly equates to the area of land between the west end of Queen Anne Street and t...

    Dunfermline, St Ninian's Chapel
    1 photo
  • St Ninian's Parish Church

    The congregation of St Andrew's South Parish Church in Dunfermline moved here after the closure of their church in 1951 (see separate site). The original church on this site was a small, temporary wooden structure, which was&nb...

    View of north elevation
    31 photos
  • St Paul's Parish Church

    This was the third church to be built on this site in the centre of Dunfermline. It replaced the earlier Abbey and Canmore Street Free Church (site no. 10600), which had itself replaced the Burgher church (later a chapel of ease, si...


    4 photos
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

     

    This building is in an area to the south of the town centre, in a tarmac precinct surrounded by a low red brick wall surmounted by iron railings. The glass panelled porch on the principal (east) elevatio...


    4 photos
  • The Gospel Hall

    This late twentieth century Gospel Hall is situated beside a busy road near the centre of Dunfermline. It is set in a tarmac precinct fronted by a mid height coped harled wall with square gatepiers to the southeast.

    View of site
    2 photos
  • The Vine Church, Dunfermline

    The Vine Church was established in Dunfermline in the 1960s, although the name was not adopted until the early 1980s. The congregation has had several homes over the years and its present premises are a converted lemonade factory situate...

    Principal (south) elevation
    10 photos
  • Townhill and Kingseat Parish Church

    This building is in a large precinct in the centre of Townhill, Dunfermline.   It was originally built in the village of Townhill as a Free Church to sit four hundred people and is now one of the two churches in a united parish...

    General view of principal (west) elevation
    43 photos
  • Townhill Mission Church

    According to historic records, a Mission Hall was built in Townhill, near Dunfermline in 1878. The exact location is unknown and the building has presumably been demolished.

  • United Presbyterian Church

    The Antiburgher congregation in Dunfermline was originally part of the Cairneyhill Antiburgher congregation which formed in the mid eighteenth century (see site no. 7756).    In 1788 the members of the congregation of Cair...


    3 photos
  • United Reformed Church, Dunfermline

    Dunfermline United Reformed Church was built in 1842 in Canmore Street as a Congregational Church. It is located on a corner plot in a residential area, with the land sloping uphill to the north. A hall was added at the north end of the ...


    38 photos
  • Viewfield Baptist Church

    This church is at the junction of East Port and Viewfield Terrace, directly opposite the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (site no. 2265). It was built in 1882-4 at a cost of �5379 and had six hundred sittings.   The roughly rec...


    6 photos
  • Vine Fellowship (Del Farquharson Centre)

    The Vine Fellowship, who had previously met in Bruce Street (site no. 2262) now meet in the Del Farquharson Centre on Sundays.

    General view of building
    1 photo
  • West Baptist Church

    This church was built in 1898 by Andrew Scobie.  The congregation was formed when they split from the Viewfield Baptist Church (site no. 8077).  The church is on a street corner and is set directly on the pavement with no bound...

    General view of church
    30 photos