Falkland, Fife

  • Chapel Royal

    The Chapel Royal at Falkland Palace is in the centre of Falkland.   It is one of the finest surviving pre-Reformation places of worship in Scotland and is still used for worship today.  The Palace, including the Chape...

    View of site
    17 photos
  • Chapelyard

    There is alleged to have been a chapel near Chapelyards House to the southeast of Falkland. The New Statistical Account of 1845 alleges that this was part of the property of the Order of the Knights Templar. No remains are visible above gro...


    1 photo
  • Falkland East

    This church was opened in 1845. It is situated on high ground in the centre of the village, facing west towards the palace and parish church. The church is built from sandstone and is coursed on its principle elevation to the west and rubbl...


    6 photos
  • Falkland House Chapel

    Falkland House was built between 1838 and 1844 by William Burn for Onesiphorus Tyndall-Bruce and his wife. Nuthill House was demolished and its stone reused in the building of the house. The Tyndall-Bruces later went on to finance the rebui...


    4 photos
  • Falkland Old Parish Church

    The earliest known church at Falkland was also known as Kilgour. It was located to the north west of the town. The church was a possession of the Priory of St. Andrews and it was rebuilt in 1431 by the Prior of St. Andrews after the precedi...


    1 photo
  • Falkland Parish Church (first)

    There have been three parish churches on the site of the present church in Falkland (site number: 4697). This record refers to the first church to be built here, probably erected in 1595 when Kilgour Parish was renamed Falkland Parish. Thi...


    2 photos
  • Falkland Parish Church (present)

    This church was built in 1850 on the site of two previous buildings. The first church was erected in 1595 after Falkland received its royal charter. It was replaced in 1620 but the building was said to be in poor condition by the 1840s, ...


    12 photos
  • Falkland Parish Church (second)

    There have been three parish churches on the site of the present church in Falkland (site number: 4697). This record refers to the second church to be built here, which was erected in c.1620, replacing the original building on the site (si...


    2 photos
  • Freuchie Parish Church

    This church was built in 1876 by Robert Baldie to accommodate the growing congregation of Freuchie. It faces north onto the High Street   The church is near the eastern edge of Freuchie and is surrounded by a low coped wall and...


    17 photos
  • Freuchie United Presbyterian Church

    This church was built in 1868 to replace an earlier building on the High Street (site number: 10558). It has now been demolished and modern housing built on the site. The church was modelled on the mission church in Govan, Glasgow. It was a...


    3 photos
  • Freuchie United Presbyterian Church (now Lumsden Memorial Hall)

    In 1794 a Secession church was built on the site which is now occupiedby the Lumsden Memorial Hall, on the eastern edge of Freuchie. Eventually the congregation grew too large and a new church was erected on Church Street in 1868 (site numb...


    5 photos
  • Lord Ninian Crichton Stuart Memorial Chapel

    This Gothic chapel was built between 1912 and 1916 and is unfinished. It is built from squared sandstone and is roofless. The building is cruciform and consists of a four bay nave, the first bay of which may have formed a vestibule if the c...


    20 photos