Forgan, Fife

  • Church of St. Fillan

    This Roman Catholic church is tucked away between the presbytery to the west and residential buildings on higher ground to the east. It consists of a main cell, south porch and a west transept, bellcote, and spire.  


    10 photos
  • Forgan Parish Church (former)

    The building was built in 1841 as a Church of Scotland church, designed by David Bryce. A fire in 1846 caused some damage to the interior which was visible until very recently. The church is now a residence and architect's office.


    19 photos
  • Morton Burial House

    This site is set back from a dirt track at the edge of Tentsmuir Forest, in the neatly mown garden of a new cottage.   It is now a ruin: its four walls are upstanding, but few stones remain. The triangular pediment, which once ...

    4 photos
  • Newport on Tay Congregational Church

    This church was built as a Congregational Union church in 1868, by the architect David Mackenzie II.    It was sited at the bottom of Kilnburn. It closed in 1986, after which it was demolished.     ...

    2 photos
  • Newport on Tay Parish Church

    This church faces west on the corner of Blyth Street, looking downhill towards the Tay. It was built as a Church of Scotland church in 1869-1870, having been designed by the architect Alexander Johnston.

    16 photos
  • St. Fillan's Old Parish Church

    This roofless church stands in a graveyard to the east of Vicarsford Cemetery. It has been out of use since 1841. The earliest fabric at the east end of the church appears to date to the late twelfth century.

    17 photos
  • St. Mary's Episcopal Church

    The church lies on sloping ground overlooking the High Street of Newport on Tay to the west and  is set in gravel grounds.    It was designed by Thomas Martin Cappon, and was built as a Scottish Episcopal church in 18...

    23 photos
  • St. Thomas' Chapel of the Sea (Site of)

    No trace of this site now remains, although the Royal Commission places it near the pier in Newport on Tay. The RCHAMS database gives the following information:

    "It is almost certain that the chapel of St Thomas of Seamylnes w...

    3 photos
  • Trinity United Free Church

    This church is situated on the corner of Boat Road and High Street; facing the High Street to the north and the Tay to the west. It was built as a United Free church in 1881-1882 and designed as by C & L Ower.

    32 photos
  • Wormit Former Parish Church

    This small church,looks out over the Tay and residential properties to the west.    The north elevation faces onto Bay Road.  It has been converted to secular use and has a gravel drive and a small landscaped garden t...

    7 photos
  • Wormit Parish Church

    Wormit was originally part of the ancient parish of Forgan.    It remained a hamlet until the coming of the railway in the nineteenth century, and became prominent because of the Tay Bridge Disaster in 1879. &nbs...

    27 photos