Kirkcaldy and Dysart, Fife

  • Abbotshall Parish Church

    Around the middle of the seventeenth century it was decided that a new church was needed to ease the pressure on the Old Kirk in Kirkcaldy, and thus the parish of Abbotshall was created. The land was on the Abbotshall Estate which was owne...


    14 photos
  • Arcade Hall

    The location of the Arcade Hall is not known, but it is known to have housed at separate times both the Apostolic and Rhema congregations of Kirkcaldy. The Apostolic congregation used the hall from an unknown date until 1957 before moving ...

  • Baptist Hall

    The Baptist congregation moved to this hall in Kirk Wynd in the late 1780s having worshipped in Bute Wynd for several years (site number: 10590). The exact location of the hall in Kirk Wynd is not known. The congregation stayed here until...


    1 photo
  • Baptist Meeting Place

    Bute Wynd was home to the first Baptist congregation in Kirkcaldy, which was said to have been founded in 1784. Nothing now remains on the site, having been completely redeveloped, and there is no evidence of the exact location of the churc...


    1 photo
  • Baptists, Philp School

    The Baptist congregation first started in Kirkcaldy in the 1780s with a site in Bute Wynd (site number: 10590) followed by one in Kirk Wynd (site number: 10560) before they established a chapel in Rose Street (site number: 10494). In the ...


    2 photos
  • Barony Church of Scotland

    Dysart Barony Church was built in 1802 as Dysart Parish Church, with seating for sixteen hundred people. In 1932 a hall was added at one end of the principal elevation. The church was in use until the congregation joined with that of St. ...


    9 photos
  • Brethren Church

    The Brethren Church just off Loughborough Road is housed in the old church hall from Loughborough Road United Presbyterian Church, which was demolished in 1985 (site number: 2454). The building is a plain rectangle which was previously att...


    6 photos
  • Carmelite Monastery

    Dysart House, as the Carmelite Monastery was originally known, was built in 1756 and replaced an earlier house on or near the site. The house was built for MP General St. Clair, whose descendants later became the Earls of Rosslyn. The origi...


    2 photos
  • Chapel Neighbourhood Centre

    Chapel Neighbourhood Centre was used as a place of worship between 1986 and 1990 by the congregation of Newcraigs Evangelical Church (site number: 10419), who had broken away from the Hebron Gospel congregation in Hayfield Road (site number...


    1 photo
  • Christian Centre Ministeries, Kirkcaldy

    This church was formally called Rhema Church but is now known as the Christian Centre Ministeries, and is housed in the former Raith Cinema on Links Street, Kirkcaldy. The Rhema Church has its origins in South Africa and places a strong...


    6 photos
  • Church of Christ

    This whitewashed church was originally constructed in 1949-1950 as Abbotsrood Church of Scotland. However, in the late 1960s the Church of Christ Congregation took over the building, having left their previous premises in Rose Street (si...


    5 photos
  • Church of Christ

    The Church of Christ had originally met in the Subscription School in Sinclairtown (site number: 10611) before moving to this hall in Commercial Street, then known as Back Street, in 1858, when the congregation was joined by the Linktown gr...


    2 photos
  • Church of Christ

    It is known that the Rose Street Church of Christ group met for a time in a hall in Kirk Wynd, having moved here from their Bute Wynd premises in 1786. They stayed here until 1819 when they moved to Rose Street (site number: 10494).


    1 photo
  • Church of Christ, Subscription School

    The Subscription School in Kirkcaldy was used by the Church of Christ group which was established in the Sinclairtown area in 1855. They met in the Subscription School until they moved in to new premises in Commercial Street (site number: ...

  • Congregational Tabernacle

    This congregation was established in Kirkcaldy towards the end of the eighteenth century, moving into their premises on the corner of Cowan Street and Charlotte Street in 1802. The church sat four hundred and fifty people. Here they remai...


    1 photo
  • Cowan Street Room

    This was a room in Cowan Street used by the Salvation Army No. 2 core in Kirkcaldy, from their founding in 1888, until they moved to the High Street in 1923 (site number: 10647). The precise location on Cowan Street is not known, and the s...


    2 photos
  • Dunnikier Union Church

    In 1820 the New Lichts of the Burgher and Anti-Burgher churches combined to form the United Secession Church, and the Kirkcaldy congregation was established on this site at the foot of the Path in 1824. The church was in use until it close...


    3 photos
  • Dysart Parish Church

    By 1874 the original Free Church in Dysart had become too small (site number: 10613), and a new church was built a short distance away in West Port. The church is built on a sloping site and is clearly visible from the main road through ...


    37 photos
  • Dysart United Presbyterian Church

    The Relief congregation started in Dysart in the 1760s with a church opening in a former malt barn in Relief Street in 1772, which sat six hundred and fifty people. The church became known as the ‘Auld House’. In 1847 the Relief Church jo...

  • EU Congregational Church

    The Evangelical Union congregation was established in Pathhead in 1869 and built this building at the west end of Commercial Street in the same year. The congregation later united with the Congregational Church of Scotland and the church...


    5 photos
  • Former Abbotsrood Church

    This church was built at the western end of Kirkcaldy High Street in 1875, as a replacement building for Abbotshall Free Church on Links Street (see site number: 8433) and was originally known as Abbotshall Free Church until 1929, when it b...


    5 photos
  • Former Catholic Church

    This small church was built as St. Columba’s Episcopal in 1906, opposite Raith Rovers’ stadium, and was sold in 1946 to the Catholic Church. It sits on an elevated site, slightly set back from the road, and has now been converted to domest...


    2 photos
  • Former Free Church

    The Free Church in Dysart started in 1845 worshipping in this building on the corner of West Quality Street and Fitzroy Street. They remained here until a new church was built on West Port in 1874 (site number: 4630). Following the move, ...


    5 photos
  • Former Kirkcaldy Free Church

    This building was the first meeting place of the Free Church in Kirkcaldy. The building is an example of the 'plain unadorned economical plan', which was recommended by the metropolitan leaders of the Secession. It was later decided that th...


    4 photos
  • Former Raith Church

    Following the Disruption of 1843, part of the congregation of Abbotshall Parish Church broke away and became Linktown Free Church. This church was built in 1844 to house this congregation, and was said to be a very plain building with se...


    3 photos
  • Former Salvation Army

    This hall was built for the Salvation Army in 1908 and is a plain rectangular building with a neo-classical façade. It sits roadside on St. Clair Street in Kirkcaldy, and is now owned by Fife Council. The Salvation Army originally met in t...


    4 photos
  • Former Salvation Army, Cairns Street

    This hall was purpose built by the Salvation Army, with construction starting in 1939. Building was interrupted during the war, however, and the hall was not completed until 1955, when the Army moved here from their St. Clair Street premis...


    4 photos
  • Former Salvation Army, Half Time School

    When the Salvation Army first established themselves in Sinclairtown in 1886 they made use of the half-time school in St. Clair Street. In 1908 they replaced this building with new premises (site number: 8662). In 1955 the Army moved to p...


    1 photo
  • Former St. James' Parish Church

    This church was built in 1842 for the United Secession congregation which had previously worshipped in a church in Cowan Street (site number: 10678). The building was a large, single cell building with a bellcote at the northern gable, whi...


    1 photo
  • Former St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church

    This church was built for Catholic worship in 1869. It is rectangular in plan, with a long, narrow form with main entrance in the western elevation. The building was converted to domestic use in 1975, forming two houses. The original bound...


    4 photos
  • Former Victoria Road United Free Church

    Built in 1888, this building served as a church until 1901. It was then used as a Boys' Brigade Hall from 1905-2003. During this time it was used for enlisting for service in World War II. In 2006 it was converted into private flats. This ...


    5 photos
  • Gallatown Free Church

    This church was built in 1861 as a mission from Dysart Free Church. It was replaced by a new church in 1884 (site number: 8130) and became the church hall. It changed use several times again before eventually being demolished.


    2 photos
  • Gallatown United Free Church

    This 1884 church replaced an earlier building (site number: 10517) which then became the church hall. Both fell out of use and were demolished in the 1960s. The congregation had started as a Free church in 1854, becoming United Free in 190...


    2 photos
  • Gospel Temperance Hall

    There is known to have been a Gospel Temperance Hall on Nether Street in Pathhead towards the end of the nineteenth century. The 1894 town plan shows the Temperance Hall as being on the site of the Philp School, and it appears to be in the...

  • Hall in Pathhead (Free Church)

    This was a hall used by part of the congregation of Pathhead Free Church (site number: 10604) which had remained Free following the union of the Free and United Churches in 1900. The congregation worshipped here until moving into their own...

  • Invertiel Parish Church

    Invertiel Parish Church was built in 1837 as a chapel of ease, presumably for Abbotshall Parish Church, but became quoad sacra on opening, on what is now the Esplanade. When built, the church was in a semi-rural location to the south of Li...


    2 photos
  • Islamic Centre

    This Islamic Centre is situated next to a public park in northern Kirkcaldy, with access from Cumbrae Terrace. The building is a late twentieth century industrial type structure with concrete panel walls and a roof which is possibly of asb...


    2 photos
  • Islamic Centre

    This Islamic Centre is housed in a modern building to the north of Kirkcaldy town centre. It is set back from the road behind a tarmac area, atop a steep cliff. The main block appears to be a plain rectangular structure of two storeys, wi...


    2 photos
  • Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses

    The Jehovah’s Witnesses Kingdom Hall in Kirkcaldy sits at the north end of Links Street, at the southern end of the burgh. The hall was built c.1980 and is said to have been built in a day. It is a rectangular structure with an entrance p...


    4 photos
  • Kirkcaldy Free Church

    This Free Church was purpose built in 1992 for the congregation which left the Millie Street church (site number: 8436). The building consists of two rectangular blocks joined together, and is constructed of brick with some concrete block ...


    5 photos
  • Kirkcaldy Free Church Manse

    This congregation was originally formed around 1900 and built themselves a new church in Millie Street in 1910 (site number: 8436). They left this building c.1990 and met in the manse on St. Mary’s Road until the opening of their new church...


    2 photos
  • Kirkcaldy Mission Hall

    The only information available regarding this site is the 1894 Ordnance Survey map, which shows the Mission Hall’s location on Links Street. It sat in a fairly large site, well back from the road with boundary walls and gates and was a pla...


    2 photos
  • Kirkcaldy Spiritualist Centre

    This church is housed in Victoria House, at number 13 Kirk Wynd in the centre of Kirkcaldy. The building appears to be late Victorian in date, and has shops on the ground floor. The entrance to the Spiritualist Centre is at the left of th...


    4 photos
  • Links Hall

    The Linktown Church of Christ group met here in the Links Hall from 1842 until 1858 when they joined with the Sinclairtown group and moved to premises in Commercial Street (site number: 10612). The exact location of the Links Hall is not k...

  • Linktown Church

    The congregation of Linktown was formed in 1737 as a dissenting church by seceders from Abbotshall Parish Church.   The site of the original church was at the point of junction between the parishes of Kirkcaldy and Abbbotshall,...


    14 photos
  • Loughborough Road Parish Church

    This church was opened in 1881 in Loughborough Road, a largely residential street in east Kirkcaldy, as a United Presbyterian church. The congregation rejoined the Church of Scotland in 1929, before the church closed in 1969. The building...


    2 photos
  • Methodist Church

    This church, which was built in 1888, is beside a busy road in a residential and commercial district in north east Kirkcaldy. It is separated from the pavement on its eastern side by a low stepped sandstone wall topped with iron railings...

    View of site from south
    26 photos
  • New Life Centre

    This small church was built as an Original Secession Church in 1879, on a small site in St. Clair Street, Kirkcaldy. In 1957 the church became an Apostolic Church. It is a plain, single cell building which presents a gable to the street w...


    4 photos
  • Newcraigs Evangelical Church

    This church was built in 1990 for a congregation which had broken away from the Hebron Gospel Church in Hayfield Road (site number: 8127) in 1986. Between 1986 and 1990 they worshipped in the Chapel Neighbourhood Centre (site number: 10652...


    5 photos
  • Normand Road United Free Church

    This congregation had started in Dysart as a Relief Church, with a church in Relief Street opening in 1772 (site number: 10679). In 1847 the church became United Presbyterian. By 1867 the congregation had outgrown the Relief Street premi...


    9 photos
  • Old Dunnikier Free Church

    This neo-classical church was built in 1763 on ground to the rear of Dunnikier House (now known as the Path House), and became the home of the Dunnikier Free Congregation, who had broken away from the Burghers at Bethelfield in 1747. Dunni...


    3 photos
  • Old Parish Kirk

    The Old Kirk in Kirkcaldy sits on an elevated site in Kirk Wynd, towards the northern end of Kirkcaldy High Street.   Growth of the town has lessened the prominence of the Kirk, but it has clearly been the dominant site in the ...


    21 photos
  • Old St John's Parish Church

    St. John’s Church on Meldrum Road was built as an extension from the Old Kirk in 1908, the congregation previously having met in the Caledonian Mills in Prime Gilt Box Street. The church was a large gabled structure with what may have been...


    2 photos
  • Old St. Peter's Episcopal Church

    The first St. Peter’s Church was built on Coal Wynd in 1811 and seated one hundred and twenty two people (site number: 10572). The congregation then moved to this site on Townsend Place in 1844 and into a new church. The church, now demolis...


    1 photo
  • Osborne House Chapel

    Osborne House is a small independent school in Dysart, which is housed in a former merchant’s house. The school is said to contain a chapel.

  • Oswald Wynd Mission Hall

    The mission hall in Oswald Wynd was built by St. Bryce Church (site number: 4635) at some point following the opening of that church in 1881. This mission hall was replaced in 1910 by one in Coal Wynd (site number: 10380) and the building ...

    Approximate site of old Mission Hall, with new in background
    1 photo
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Succour St. Maries Church

    Also known as Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, this building originally housed the Dunnikier Free Church, which had relocated from its Mid Street site (site number: 10561) to this new building in 1901, and was built on the corner of Dunnik...


    8 photos
  • Pathhead and Dysart Spiritualist Church

    The Pathhead Spiritualist Congregation was founded in the 1890s, originally meeting in a room in Pathhead Hall (site number: 10628). They now meet in rooms in Commercial Street, which had been the Feuars’ Hall.


    1 photo
  • Pathhead Baptist Church

    The original Baptist church in Pathhead was opened in 1904 and was housed in the building now used as the church hall (site number: 10622). The present building was built adjoining the old church at an angle in 1908 and is Gothic in styl...


    25 photos
  • Pathhead Baptist Church (Hall)

    This building, which is now the hall for Pathhead Baptist Church (site number: 8937), was built in 1904 and is a small rectangular single cell building. Since the construction of the new church in 1908, this building has been in use as the...


    2 photos
  • Pathhead East Free Church

    Following the Disruption of 1843, this church was built in Pathhead for those who broke away from Pathhead Parish Church (site number: 4637), and opened in 1844. The church was built on a street known as The Green, which is now the foot of...


    1 photo
  • Pathhead Free Church

    This church was built in 1910 for the Pathhead Free congregation, which remained Free following the union of the Free and United Free churches in 1900. They had first worshipped in a hall in Pathhead (site number: 10629) before moving into...


    2 photos
  • Pathhead Gospel Union

    The Gospel Chapel in Pathhead was built in 1899 on Commercial Street in Pathhead, Kirkcaldy. The building is no longer in religious use.


    2 photos
  • Pathhead Halls

    The Pathhead Halls in Commercial Street were built in 1882, as a theatre and music hall. A room in the halls was used by the Spiritualist Church from 1898. They later moved to premises in the Feuars' Hall (site number: 10616), and the buil...


    3 photos
  • Pathhead Parish Church

    Pathhead Parish Church was built in 1823, initially as a chapel of ease from Dysart Parish Church (site 4631). Following the Disruption in 1843 part of the congregation separated to form Pathhead East Free Church (site number 10604). In ...


    25 photos
  • Pratt Street Rooms

    These rooms in Pratt street were used by the congregation of an Episcopal church from 1895 until they moved to their purpose built church, also on Pratt street (site number: 8129).


    1 photo
  • Quakers, Hunter Hall

    The Quakers in Kirkcaldy meet in the Hunter Hall in Kirk Wynd, two Sundays out of every month. Hunter Hall is on the south side of Kirk Wynd, and was likely built in the late nineteenth century, though possibly re-using an earlier building...


    1 photo
  • Rose Street Chapel

    The Scotch Baptist congregation who built this chapel had originally worshipped in Bute Wynd in the 1780s (site number: 10590), before moving to Kirk Wynd (site number: 10560). In 1819 they built this chapel in Rose Street, with seating fo...

  • Salvation Army

    The Salvation Army who use this building are the No. 2 Corps who started in Kirkcaldy in 1888 with premises in a room in Cowan Street (site number: 10627). In 1923 they moved to the Assembly Rooms in at no. 125 High Street, where they re...


    4 photos
  • Scottish Coast Mission Hall

    There was a Scottish Coast Mission in Kirkcaldy at the northern end of the High Street where it becomes The Path. The Mission is shown on the 1894 Ordnance Survey map of Kirkcaldy, and is on the site of what is now part of the Adam Smith C...


    1 photo
  • Secession Church

    This congregation, known as Bethelfield, formed in Kirkcaldy after breaking away from Abbotshall Church and the Parish Church in the 1730s. The first church was built at the southern end of the High Street, on the border between Kirkcaldy ...


    1 photo
  • St. Andrew's Parish Church

    This church was originally known as the Victoria Road United Free Church, an extension of St. Bryce Kirk. In 1972 it became St. Andrew's Parish Church, after a union with the congregation from Dunniker Free Church (site number: 6672).&nb...


    6 photos
  • St. Brycedale

    This late nineteenth century Gothic church is visible from a great distance and as such serves as a local landmark. Situated at the top of Kirk Wynd, it is an aisled church with a substantial tower at the north east and twin towers to th...


    16 photos
  • St. Denis' Chapel

    The site of the chapel is thought to have been in Pan Ha’ where the forge of Lady Blanche colliery was built. Little is known about the history of the chapel, but it is said that it could possibly have been a chapel belonging to the Blackf...


    3 photos
  • St. John's Parish Church

    The original church on this site (site number: 10642) was built in 1908 as an extension from Kirkcaldy Old Kirk. This church burned down in 1975 leaving only a small portion remaining, which is now in use as the church hall. The new chur...


    5 photos
  • St. Mark's Coptic Christian Church

    Invertiel Free Church was built in 1857 following the Disruption of 1843, when the congregation broke away from Invertiel Parish Church (siten10562).   It was a Free Church until the reunion with the Church of Scotland in 1929,...

    Gable with entrance
    17 photos
  • St. Michael's

    The church on Overton Road was built in 1897 as an extension of St. Peter's in Townsend Place (site number: 6092). It was demolished in the 1960s.


    1 photo
  • St. Ninian's Chapel

    There is said to have been a chapel dedicated to St. Ninian to the north west of Kirkcaldy in the sixteenth century, which may well have had earlier foundations, and which is likely to be the source of the name of the local area – Chapel. ...

  • St. Peter's Episcopal Church

    This, the original St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Kirkcaldy, was built on Coal Wynd in 1811, and had seating for one hundred and twenty two people. The chapel was built towards the bottom of Coal Wynd, and appears to have been attached to...


    1 photo
  • St. Peter's Episcopal Church

    The first St. Peter�s Church had been built on Coal Wynd c.1811 (site number: 10572), before moving to the present site in Townsend Place in 1844. The original church on the site (site number: 10571) was found to be suffering from subs...


    14 photos
  • St. Pius X

    As the town of Kirkcaldy expanded in the 1950s, new churches were needed to cope with the growing population of the new housing areas. St. Pius X Catholic Church was built on Brodick Road in 1952 in line with these needs. The church is st...


    6 photos
  • St. Serf's Cave

    It is said that St. Serf, or Servanus, sought refuge in these caves in Dysart (using the caves as a ‘desert’ – hence the name of the town) in about AD500, though some sources cite the date as c. AD700. During this time St. Serf fought the ...

  • St. Serf's Old Parish Church

    St. Serf has been associated with Dysart since the eigth century, when he used caves located close to the site of the old parish church as a retreat (see site number: 10547). A church was built near the caves in the early thirteenth century...


    6 photos
  • Templehall Meeting Huts

    The congregation of Templehall Parish had been founded with the growth of new housing to the north of central Kirkcaldy following the Second World War. To begin with, the congregation met in two officers’ mess huts in what is now Cleish Ga...

  • Templehall Parish Church

    This church was constructed in 1955-6 to serve the new housing areas of Templehall and Valley Gardens. The congregation, which was an extension of Victoria Road Church, formed in 1952. They originally met in two old officers' mess huts i...


    5 photos
  • The Church of Christ of the Latter Day Saints

    The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormon) on Winifred Crescent is a post war church which consists of a large, gabled main church with a single storey projecting bay on the south east which runs the length of the eleva...


    20 photos
  • The Gospel Hall

    The Gospel Hall on Hayfield Road was built as Hebron Gospel Church in 1964, the congregation having started in Links Street in 1932. The church is a large, harled structure with brick base course. The entrance is on the right flank up som...


    4 photos
  • Torbain Church

    Torbain Church was built by Wheeler and Sproson in 1969, and is still in use today. The church is irregular in form, built in the modern style and has large harled walls with glazed upper sections almost in the form of a clerestory. The ...


    27 photos
  • Unitarian Church

    This building was constructed as a Unitarian Church in 1899. The Unitarian Church, which developed in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, was a branch of Protestantism but with distinct ideas in some areas. For example, the free use of...


    4 photos
  • United Reform

    This Church of Christ congregation was established in 1855 and originally met in the Subscription School (site number: 10611), before moving to a hall in Commercial Street (site number: 10612). They were joined in 1858 by the Linktown grou...


    2 photos
  • United Secession Church

    This church was the predecessor to St. James' at Port Brae (site number: 10651). The congregation had left the church at Bethelfield (site numbers: 10675, 4636) and moved to this church in Cowan Street. The precise location of the church ...


    1 photo
  • Viewforth Parish Church

    This church was originally built as a Chapel of Ease for the growing population of the third ward of Kirkcaldy and in 1912 it was given the status of Parish Church.     It is in a grass covered precinct  surround...


    28 photos
  • West End Congregational Church

    This church was built in 1874 to replace the Cowan Street Congregational Chapel (site number: 10649) at the corner of Cowan Street and Charlotte Street. There is a tower at the northeast corner of the building and a later extension joine...


    17 photos
  • Whytescauseway Baptist Church

    This congregation was formed in 1852 when they broke away from the Baptist congregation that met in the Rose Street Chapel (site number: 10494). They met in the Philp School (site number: 10688) until their new church in Whytescauseway o...


    30 photos
  • Zion House

    This church, situated on the corner of Dunnikier Road and Mitchell Street, was a former linen mill. Its first religious residents were the Elim Pentecostal Church before the Zionists took over the building at a later date. The building is...


    3 photos