Leuchars, Fife

  • Antiburgher Church

    An Antiburgher congregation was formed in Balmullo c.1747. The church went out of use prior to the formation of the United Presbyterian Church in 1847. If the church is still standing, the most likely candidate appears to be a single storey...


    6 photos
  • Guardbridge Parish Church

    This church was built to accommodate the growing numbers of employees at the nearby Guardbridge paper mill who would have had to worship at Leuchars, Dairsie or Strathkinness. It was originally opened as a mission station. It was last used...


    9 photos
  • Leuchars Free Church (now Henderson Hall)

    This building was built as a Free Church in 1895, having been designed by the architect David Henry,and is now used as a hall. The building is composed of grey rough faced stonework which is coursed and bound, with tooled quoins and arch su...


    1 photo
  • Leuchars Parish Church (St. Athernase)

    This Romanesque church is situated on high ground in the centre of Leuchars. It is Fife's finest example of Romanesque architecture. The church was built by Robert de Quinci in 1183-1187 and was dedicated by Bishop de Bernham in 1244. An...


    41 photos
  • St. Bonach's Chapel

    This building is no longer in existence. The site may be under the car park or playground of Leuchars Primary School.

    Former Site of Chapel Under Car Park
    1 photo
  • St. Saviour's Episcopal Church

    This church is now a house. It faces onto the main road between Leuchars and Guardbridge. The former church is built in rough coursed sandstone with dressed quoins and a slate pitched roof. It was built as a Scottish Episcopal church in 190...


    5 photos
  • Tammie Knowe

    An RCAHMS Canmore entry from 1908 alleges that there was at one time a church on a knoll to the north east of Earlshall which bore the name Tammie Knowe. The church would have been located somewhere in Tentsmuir Forest. However, no reliable...

  • Vicarsford Cemetery Chapel

    This building was constructed as a memorial chapel for the Leng family in 1895-7. It was designed by the architect Thomas Martin Cappon and bears a striking resemblance to La Saint Chappelle in Paris, although on a diminutive scale. The cha...


    17 photos