Markinch, Fife

  • Baptist Church

    This church was built in 1961-62 for the Episcopal church by Gillespie and Scott of St. Andrews.  It is on a busy road near to the bus station and shopping centre in Glenrothes. 

    In 1979 the congregation ex...

    Noticeboard
    24 photos
  • Brunton Church

    xThis church was built as a United Free Church in 1843 by the architect Robert Hutchison, following a split from the established congregation in Markinch. It is situated on the High Street of Markinch in a fairly small precinct with mode...


    4 photos
  • Fife Islamic Centre

    This building is in the Woodside area of Glenrothes in an area with a number of industrial units.

     


    20 photos
  • Former Balbirnie Church

    This gothic style church was built on the western edge of Markinch in 1896-8 by the architect Hippolyte J Blanc. During its history it has been both a United Presbyterian Church as well as a United Free Church, before being converted int...


    6 photos
  • Former Windygates United Free Church

    This church was built in the late nineteenth century and became the United Free church of Windygates in 1899, until the present church was built in 1910 (see site number: 7788). Since then it has been used as the church hall. It is a sing...


    4 photos
  • Free Baptist Church

     

    This church is in a residential area and sits on a corner site at the junction of Queen Margaret Drive and St. Regulus Gardens. It is set in a partially grassed precinct surr...


    15 photos
  • Glenrothes Spiritualist Church (Wayside Hall)

    The Glenrothes Spiritualist church meet in the Wayside Hall on Balbirnie Road, Glenrothes.


    5 photos
  • Gospel Hall

    Little information is known about this site other than that it is, or has been, used by the Gospel Church, and also possibly the Brethren Church.

  • Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses

    The building is in a residential area in Glenrothes contained in a precinct surrounded by a timber fence. The building is at the southern end of the precinct with a car parking area to the north.

     


    8 photos
  • Kirkforthar Chapel, Fife

    The remains of the chapel of Kirkforthar sit on a wooded knoll in the centre of a large field north of Markinch. The chapel is said to have been suppressed prior to the Reformation, but the ground was used as a private burying place for ...


    12 photos
  • Markinch Parish Church

    Originally called St. Drostan�s, this Parish Church is situated on a prominent hilltop in the centre of Markinch, and is reputed to have been the site of religious worship since the sixth century. The main body of the church is late ei...


    23 photos
  • Milton of Balgonie Parish Church

    This church was built in 1836 as a chapel of ease for St. Drostan�s in Markinch (now Markinch Parish Church, site number 7786), paid for by the Balfour family. It is at the eastern end of Milton of Balgonie, in a fairly small precinct....


    6 photos
  • Mustard Seed Hall

    Known as The Mustard Seed Hall, this small rubble built sandstone building is located in the quiet residential area of Woodside. The building is currently in use as an Evangelical church but it appears to have originally been constructed...


    6 photos
  • St. Luke's Episcopal Church

    Constructed in 1960, this church was originally the Glenrothes Baptist Church. It became St. Luke�s Episcopal Church in 1979 when this congregation swapped buildings with the Episcopal congregation in Glenrothes (site number: 8394). Th...


    26 photos
  • St. Margaret's Parish Church, Glenrothes

    This is the oldest church in the new town of Glenrothes;   it was constructed in 1953-4, the  architect being Peter Sinclair,    It is in the residential area of Woodside, and was originally called Woodside ...


    14 photos
  • St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church, Glenrothes

    This church which opened for worship in 1958,  is in the Woodside residential area of the new town of Glenrothes.   It was constructed in 1956-7 by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, and is now a Grade B Listed Building. &nb...

    View of church
    32 photos
  • Stob Cross

    The Stob Cross is a plain stone slab in the form of a cross, greatly weathered, sited next the East Lodge of Balbirnie House. It is said to have marked the boundary of sanctuary of Markinch Church. It now sits on a modern base.


    2 photos
  • The King's Covenant Fellowship

    The King's Covenant Fellowship, which is a non-denominational Christian church, currently meet at the YM/YWCA, North Street, Glenrothes.     It is a large building on a busy road and has car parks to both the east and...


    5 photos
  • The Leading Light Spiritualist Church (The Lomond Centre)

    The Leading Light Spiritualist Church meets in the Lomond Centre, Woodside Way, Glenrothes. The Lomond Centre is a community use building that hires out rooms to various groups and organisations. This group used to meet in the Rothes Hal...


    5 photos
  • Thornton Free Church

    This church was built on Station Road in Thornton in 1904-6 in the gothic style. It was demolished c.2002 and replaced by a group of modern houses.


    2 photos
  • Thornton Parish Church

    Thornton Parish Church was built in 1834-5 as a chapel of ease for Markinch Parish Church (site number: 7786).  It is a small, T-plan church in a precinct with grass and modern paving. It was originally a rectangular, and the transe...

    East elevation of church
    19 photos
  • United Reformed Church

    This church was built in Balcurvie Road in the late nineteenth century and became the United Free church of Windygates in 1899,    Since the present church was built in 1910 (see site 7788) it has been used as the chu...


    3 photos
  • Windygates Free Church, Fife

    This Free Church is on a street in the centre of Windygates.  It is no longer in ecclesiastical use and is now used as a community hall, and it remains in good condition.

  • Windygates, St. Kenneth's Parish Church

    This church was built in 1910 and was originally a United Free Church.   The neighbouring church hall was the previous church (site 10588).    They are side by side on a sloping road behind boundary walls topped ...


    27 photos