Places of Worship in Newburgh Parish in Fife Region

  • Lindores Abbey

    Lindores Abbey was founded in 1190 by David, Earl of Hungtingdon and was eventually destroyed during the Reformation in the 16th century. It is located at the eastern end of Newburgh, just off Abbey Road. The abbey and its chur...


    8 photos
  • Livingstone Hall

    This former church is located on the north side of Newburgh High Street (Cupar Road) with a small parking area in front. It was built as a United Secession Church in 1885 by architects John Young & Son, to seat 500-600 peop...

    View of church (now a garage)
    10 photos
  • Macduff's Cross Chapel Site

    Macduff's Cross is a cubical sandstone boulder which sits on an earthen platform and is surrounded by smaller stones, placed there by Newburgh Town Council in 1851. There is some dispute as to the original nature of the cross. An RCAHMS ...


    1 photo
  • Newburgh Baptist Church

    Newburgh Baptist Church was built in 1881. The congregation was formed in 1808, but there are no records to suggest where they met.   The building is on Newburgh High Street, set between residential buildings. It faces south to...


    5 photos
  • Newburgh Parish Church

    Newburgh Parish Church was built between 1905 and 1906,  facing south onto the road towards the east of Newburgh High Street, opposite the school and within walking distance of the town cemetery. It sits behind a boundary wall in we...


    27 photos
  • Newburgh United Free Church

    Built as a Burgher Chapel 1786, this building was reconstructed in 1836. It is on the western side of Clinton Street.   The east elevation is diagonally opposite site 6277, Newburgh Relief Church, which opened in 1841 and deple...


    7 photos
  • St. Adrian's Oratory

    The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland suggests that an oratory dedicated to St. Adrian might have been erected on or near the current location of the Mugdrum Cross (see separate entry). A local gui...


    3 photos
  • St. Katherine's Chapel

    A medieval chapel once stood on this site on Newburgh's High Street, which was subsequently built over by the later St Katherine's Church, the parish church of Newburgh from 1832 to 1967, as well as the mode...


    2 photos
  • St. Katherine's Episcopal Mission Church

    An Episcopal church was built on the corner of Abbey Road and Cupar Road in the late nineteenth century, but it was demolished in its centenary year, in 1987. The site is now occupied by modern housing and there are no tra...


    1 photo
  • St. Katherine's Parish Church

    St. Katherine's Parish Church was built in 1832 on a prominent site fronting the High Street in Newburgh. It stood on the site of an ancient chapel (see separate site, St Katherine's Chapel) which had been present...


    1 photo
  • The Mugdrum Cross

    The Mugdrum Cross is in private raised ground to the west of Newburgh, on the edge of a wood, next to the ruins of a residence.   It was probably carved after the tenth century, making it a class III stone associated with the e...


    6 photos
  • United Reformed Church

    Originally built as a Burgher Chapel 1786, this church was reconstructed in 1836 to enabole it to hold a larger congregation in more comfort. It is on the west side of Clinton Street, towards the west end of Newburgh, just south of ...


    6 photos