Scoonie, Fife

  • Former Baptist Chapel

    This building was originally constructed as Leven Baptist Chapel in 1892. .   The foundation stone was laid in 1939 by the Reverend Principal W. Holms Coats.    Today it serves as a community hall.   An...


    4 photos
  • Former Salvation Army

    This building was originally the home of the Salvation Army in Leven.    Inscriptions around the main doorway indicate that it was erected in 1905,  but it is unclear when the Salvation Army took it over  &n...


    5 photos
  • Former St. Andrew's Parish Church

    Originally Leven Free Church, this rectangular plan gothic church with bellcast slate roof was constructed in 1860-1. In 1900 it became Forman United Free Church before becoming St. Andrew’s Parish Church (in 1975), due to the unio...


    8 photos
  • Leven Congregational House Chapel

    There was a chapel located in the upper floor of a house on North Street (formerly Back Street) in Leven from 1825-60. However, no evidence of the specific house or chapel could be found.

  • Leven Parish Church

    The current Parish Church in Leven was built 1901-4, replacing the original church on the same site. The original church was built in 1775 to replace the Old Scoonie Parish Kirk (site  1467),  on the outskirts of the town to th...


    14 photos
  • Scoonie Old Kirkyard

    This graveyard is on a rise to the north of the centre of Leven sloping downward to the south, and is surrounded by coped rubble walls.   The main entrance to the graveyard has ashlar gateposts and decorative iron work gates.&n...

    View of eastern section of graveyard
    5 photos
  • Scoonie Old Parish Church

    The Old Parish Church of Leven was constructed in the twelfth century and today all that remains is a roofless structure which may have been the session house or vestry of the church.   It became redundant and fell into a ruino...


    8 photos
  • St Peter's Roman Catholic Church

     

    This building was constructed in 1870-1 in the Gothic style by Robert Baldie. It opened as Leven United Presbyterian church in 1871 and later became St. John
    13 photos

  • St. Margaret Queen of Scotland Episcopal Church

    This building is in a gravel compound surrounded by bull-faced coped walls from which the railings and entrance gates have been removed.  The tower is known as the Gibson-Carmichael Tower, after the benefactor.   The archi...


    23 photos
  • White Memorial Baptist Church

    This building was designed in 1914 by A. C. Dewar and opened in 1916. It is set back from the road at the end of a path and is surrounded by a well kept garden and red gravel car park. There is a hall/centre associated with the church wh...


    21 photos