St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife

  • All Saints Episcopal Church

    The present All Saints Episcopal Church is at the corner of North Street and North Castle Street.      To the north lies St Andrews castle, and the ruins of the cathedral are visible from the south east corner of...


    21 photos
  • Baptist Church

    This Baptist church was built in 1842 and the congregation moved there from the Congregationalist Church in Market Street that October. It is rectangular on plan and occupies quite a narrow site, between Rose Lane on the west and Madras ...


    9 photos
  • Bishops Wood, Magus Muir

    The site contains three monuments in close proximity to each other, either on or near the site of the murder of Archbishop Sharp, in the wood at Magus Muir. They were all either built or restored by John Whyte-Melville in 1877.
    The Shar...

  • Blackfriars Chapel

    Blackfriars chapel was built in 1525 as an addition to the original 13th century friary which was being renovated at the time. The re-building process took place after a grant was given by Bishop Elphinstone of Aberdeen in 1514. The chapel ...


    3 photos
  • Boarhills Church

    Boarhills Church lies south-east of St Andrews, close to the A917.   It is oriented east-west and was built south west of the village of Boarhills by the local architect, George Rae between 1866 and 186.   It is ...


    16 photos
  • Brethren Assembly

    The Christian Brethren Hall, situated at 20 Greenside Place, was first built in 1938, owned by a Harold P. Thorpe of Chesire. It appears that it was created in the space of two of the terraced cottages, and that it was purpose built for ...


    2 photos
  • Burgher Kirk

    This building was used as a Burgher Kirk from 1774 until 1826. It is a three-storey building with a red pantiled roof and an outside stair. The building dates from the early eighteenth century. It was renovated in 1964 and part of the build...


    1 photo
  • Burgher Kirk

    The Burgher kirk in St Andrews occupied an early eighteenth century building, originally built as a barn and stable. It was used as a kirk from 1749 to 1774. In 1954 it was reconstructed by the St Andrews Preservation Trust and turned into ...


    2 photos
  • Catholic Centre

    This building, known as Canmore, located opposite St. James' Catholic Church, houses the Catholic Centre for the University of St Andrews. Within the building is St. Margaret's Chapel, which is used as a place of worship by the Catholic soc...

  • Chesterhill Chapel

    The remains of this chapel were uncovered when the present church at Boarhills Church was built (site number: 4668). It may date back as far as the 9th century.


    2 photos
  • Congregational Church

    This congregational church was built in 1854 by the architects Andrew Kerr and Jesse Hall.The church was a large double-gable fronted building of grey sandstone with steps at the entrance. It was demolished in 1983. This building superceded...


    1 photo
  • Former Catholic Church

    This Roman Catholic church was built on The Scores in St Andrews. It was a 'tin kirk' and was constructed in timber with corrugated iron walls and roof. It had metal traceried, pointed-arch windows. Three triple-arched windows broke the sou...


    3 photos
  • Former St. Mary's Church

    St. Mary's Church was built by William Burn of Edinburgh in 1839. It is a basic rectangle with no tower, with harled walls and a decorated sandstone arched doorway. This forms part of a modern frontage with wood and glass.


    4 photos
  • Franciscan Friary (Greyfriars)

    This Franciscan Friary was founded in the fourteenth century by the then Bishop of St Andrews, James Kennedy. The friary was destroyed during the Reformation and is no longer visible.


    2 photos
  • Friends (Quaker) Meeting House

    The Religious Society of Friends, known as Quakers, has met in a variety of places in St Andrews during the last fifty years. Three have sufficient documentation to be included in this gazetteer, but there could have been others. All are...

  • Gospel Hall

    The Gospel Hall is situated in a small, terraced former residential stone dwelling, at no. 41 Market Street. It is believed the building was rebuilt in 1906, when it was converted from a residential property to an upholsterer’s shop. It was...


    4 photos
  • Guest Hall

    All that remains is part of a wall and this is located on a street called The Pends and is to be found between two school buildings belonging to St. Leonards School.


    2 photos
  • Holy Trinity Church

    The parish church of Holy Trinity was built between South Street and Market Street in 1412. It replaced the earlier Holy Trinity of Kinrimund (1470).

       This church was an aisled cruciform building, with a tower at the ...


    8 photos
  • Holy Trinity Church (20th Century)

    Holy Trinity Church was built in South Street, on a site central to the developing burgh, not far from the market place and the town house.It incorporates the tower and other remains of the church begun in 1411 by Bishop Wardlaw and subs...


    22 photos
  • Holy Trinity of Kilrimund

    This church was the first parish church for St Andrews, when it was known as the Church of the Holy Trinity of Kinrimund. Nothing remains visible of the church.


    3 photos
  • Hope Park and Martyrs Church

    Hope Park Church was built in 1864-5 by Peddie and Kinnear. The church is tightly packed into a prominent corner site and its tower and spire can be seen from most areas of the town.   The church was originally a United Presbyt...


    11 photos
  • Inchmurtach Bishop's Palace

    There is a dovecot in a field at Kenlygreen, next to the road leading into the village of Boarhills, which is alleged to be built from the stones of the palace of Inchmurtach. More details are provided by the RCHAMS Canmore database, which ...


    1 photo
  • Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses

    The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses is a long rectangular harled building with a slate roof. The building is located in a car park on the north side of North Street.


    4 photos
  • Kingdom Vineyard (Cosmos Centre)

    This has been the meeting place of the Kingdom Vineyard for about a year (circa. January 2007).


    3 photos
  • Mansefield

    This building belonging to the University of St. Andrews is used as a meeting place and place of worship for different religious groups and has a Muslim prayer room on its first floor.


    4 photos
  • Martyrs' Church

    Martyrs' Church on South Street, St Andrews, was built in 1926-8 by Gillespie and Scott, influential architects in St Andrews, on the site of an earlier church, and is the third Martyrs' church in St Andrews.    The first ...


    10 photos
  • Nydie Mains

    There is some evidence for there being a chapel on this site, but no information is available at the present time.

  • Old Congregational Church

    This site represents the first Congregational chapel in St Andrews and was situated almost directly opposite Logie's Lane, where 105 Market Street is located today. Prior to this, between 1804 to 1807, worshippers met in an old factory whic...

  • Peekie Mill

    Formerly a coaching Inn (Peekie Inn) this site was the meeting place of the Church of Christ from the mid 19th century to c. 1870. The location of the meeting place within this mill was probably due to the membership which was derived from ...

  • Possible chapel site:18th Green

    A burial ground was uncovered at this site in the 1860s and it has been assumed this was a  chapel site, for which there is no other evidence.

  • Quaker Meeting House

    A first floor flat in this building at the corner of South Street and City Road was used as a Quaker Meeting House from 1982 to 1993 when they moved to Howard Place (site number: 10655).


    3 photos
  • Quaker Meeting House

    This former Quaker Meeting House is located on Rose Lane which is at the west end of South Street. The house was rented from 1967 - 1974, and then bought in 1974 and altered and used by the Quakers in St. Andrews until 1982.


    2 photos
  • Religious Society of Friends - Quakers

    This building is one of a group of terraced houses located on the crescent-shaped Howard Place, built by the architect John Chesser between 1870 and 1876. It is a two-storey ashlar built building with a slate roof.

    Although origi...


    2 photos
  • Salvation Army

    In 1984 the Salvation Army converted an existing building into a meeting hall and was used as such until 2005. The next conversion became The Glass House Restaurant. It is located on North Street, opposite St. Salvator's Chapel. The Salvat...


    4 photos
  • St Andrew's Episcopal Church

    St Andrew's Episcopal Church was built by R. Rowand Anderson between 1867-69. It is a large and imposing structure built in pointed rubble. It is cruciform in plan, with nave, side aisles and transepts. However, the transepts do not exte...


    12 photos
  • St Andrews Castle Chapel

    The chapel was built as part of the castle. It was situated in the south east corner of the castle and faced east- west. A loggia was built against the north wall, of which only the column bases and the floor survive.


    3 photos
  • St Andrews Episcopal Church

    This former Episcopal church was built on an aquired site in North Street. It was completed in just over a year, opening in September 1825. The architect was William Burn, who later went on to build Madras College in the town. It was built ...


    1 photo
  • St Andrews Free Church (Boys Brigade Hall)

    The St Andrew's Free Church congregation meets at the Boys Brigade Hall. They also meet at Martyr's Church (site no: 4721). The Boys Brigade Hall is situated on the corner of Kinnessburn Road and Langlands Road and is a two-storey gabled b...


    3 photos
  • St James Roman Catholic Church, St Andrews

    The Church of St James is on the edge of the cliffs at the west end of The Scores, St Andrews, aligned west-east and in a small enclosure.    Built in the Arts and Crafts Romanesue style, it was the first commission of the...


    12 photos
  • St John's College

    St John's College and Chapel were founded in 1419. By 1538 the college buildings had been demolished and the site was used for St Mary's College.


    5 photos
  • St Leonard's Parish Church; see also site 10326

    The parish of St Leonards was an ancient one, which had an association with the University going back to the sixteenth century.   This was ended by a unilateral decision of the university in 1898 and the minister, the Revd. R.W...


    18 photos
  • St Leonards College Chapel

    St Leonards College is now occupied by a girls' school on the site of the medieval college. The chapel survives, belongs to and is used by St Andrews University. The college's predecessor was a Culdee hospital for six pilgrims visiting the ...


    14 photos
  • St Leonards Parish Church

    The parish of St Leonards was an ancient one, which had an association with the University going back to the sixteenth century.   This was ended by a unilateral decision of the university in 1898 and the minister, the Revd. R.W...

  • St Mary on the Rock

    St Mary on the Rock was an early Medieval church, dating to the 12th century. It appears to have been built on the site of an earlier 9th century Culdee Church. Before 1290 St Mary on the Rock had become a collegiate church and a royal chap...


    6 photos
  • St Peter's Chapel, St Andrews

    Medieval records in St Andrews, including the Chartulary of the Priory and a monastic document of 1212, refer to a St Peter's Chapel being present in the town at this time. The foundations of a stone, possibly Romanesque, chapel and a numbe...

  • St Regulus' Church

    This church was built around 1070 by Bishop Robert to house relics of St Andrew, and acted as a landmark for pilgrims. The shrine itself consists of a small chancel, 7. 9m by 6m. The landmark is provided with the immensely tall west tower, ...


    7 photos
  • St. Andrews Cathedral

    Described as very possibly the first generation of Gothic architecture in Scotland (Fawcett, 2002). St. Andrews Cathedral was founded in 1160-1 and consecrated in July 1318. It was home to a group of Augustinian canons. It was also the con...


    37 photos
  • St. Magdalene's Chapel

    Located to the south of St. Rule's Church (site no.1472) the site was excavated but the foundations that were revealed have now been covered over.


    1 photo
  • St. Nicholas' Hospital (site of)

    St. Nicholas's hospital no longer exists as a building above ground level. Its remains and associated burial ground suggest that it was a twelfth century leper hospital. The date of foundation is unknown, but a charter of 1178 shows that it...


    2 photos
  • St. Salvator's College Chapel

    The College of St. Salvator was established in 1450 by the Bishop of St Andrews, James Kennedy. The properly funded and organised building was thought necessary to solve the university's lack of previous success (founded 1410-14). Religi...


    29 photos
  • Step Rock

    The site of burials of unknown date which were exposed in a sheltered part of the cliff during building works in the 1980s.

    Step Rock
    4 photos
  • Strathkinness Free Church (now Strathkinness Village Hall)

    Strathkinness Free Church was built in 1867; three years after the parish church was completed (site number: 7800). The church faces east towards the centre of the village. It is now the village hall. The building is built from squared sand...


    9 photos
  • Strathkinness Parish Church

    Strathkinness Parish Church was built between 1863 and 1864 on the western edge of an area of common land in the centre of the village. The Free Church (site 8055),  on the Main Street, is visible to the southeast. The church consis...


    8 photos
  • The Hallow Hill Long Cist Cemetery

    The site is located on a low hill which is surrounded by two burns, on the western edge of modern St Andrews.
    This site was excavated in 1860 when 20 buials in long cists (stone coffins) were uncovered; a 'short cist' with Roman artefac...

  • United Presbyterian Church

    Congregation moved from Burgher Kirk at 141 South Street (site no: 4719) in 1827. In 1865 they moved to Hope Park Church.