St Monance, Fife

  • Abercrombie Church

    This church is situated to the north of the village of Abercrombie, near to Balcaskie House. It is a roofless ruin, the fabric of which probably dates back to the late medieval period. c.1646 the congregation of this church moved to St. Mon...


    16 photos
  • Braehead Evangelical Church

    The church was built in 1870 as a Free church and is still in religious use at present. It was designed and built by David Horne. It is situated at the roadside, surrounded by residential buildings.

     


    25 photos
  • St. Monans Cell

    The village of St. Monans takes its name from a sixth century religious recluse that came from the monastery at Pittenweem to live in a small cave or cell east of the site of the present parish church.


    1 photo
  • St. Monans Chapel

    The present parish church of St. Monans (site number: 3793) is located on the site of an earlier chapel, probably constructed by the Durward family in the mid thirteenth century, who lived in the nearby Newark castle.


    1 photo
  • St. Monans Gospel Hall

    This church was built in 1970. It is a modern building, harled with a slate roof, and is situated in a raised location facing broadly west over Hope Park on the northern edge of St. Monan's. It is approached via steps from the south and ...


    10 photos
  • St. Monans Parish Church

    This church was built between 1362 and 1370 as a chapel which was endowed by David II. It is situated in a clifftop graveyard overlooking the sea, and has the distinction of being the closest church to the sea in Scotland. St. Monans is ...


    21 photos