Places of Worship in Ardrossan Parish in Strathclyde Region

  • Ardrossan Castle - Isolated Burials

    A number of graves were disturbed about 1956 during works on the railway line below the castle.

    I Holland 2021

  • Ardrossan Castle Hill Ex Parish Chapel

    Prior to 1226 a church was built adjacent to the Castle on Castle Hill. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and there was an altar to St Peter. It was tithed to Kilwinning Abbey. Sometime between 1270 and 1300 an altar was dedicated to t...

    General view of foundations
    10 photos
  • Ardrossan Congregational Church

    The church is simple rectangle off a main street. It is in Perpendicular style in random coursed red rock-faced sandstone with fair-faced dressings by Thomas Purves Marwick and was built about 1905. The church is aligned essentially east...

    View of east elevation from south east
    10 photos
  • Ardrossan Ex All Saints Chapel

    There was a Pre-Reformation Chapel dedicated to “All Saints” but the site and details of it are unknown.

    I Holland 2019

  • Ardrossan Ex Barony St John's Parish Church

    The church is simple rectangle with a central front extension and belfry tower off a main street. It is in Gothic style in coursed blond ashlar sandstone by Black & Salmon and was built in 1844/53. The church is aligned essentially n...

    View of church from south
    10 photos
  • Ardrossan Ex Church of the Nazarene

    Sometime after 1905 a number of members from the United Presbyterian congregation formed a Church of the Nazarene. A building was erected/acquired in Winton Place. In 1959 the church acquired the original United Presbyterian Church in Gl...

  • Ardrossan Ex Evangelical Union Church

    A Congregational Church was formed in 1837 and met initially in a hall in Princes Street and then in 1842 in an upper flat at 52 Glasgow Street. About this time, they left the Congregational Union and became independent. In1859/60 a chur...

  • Ardrossan Ex Franciscan Sisters Convent

    The building was purchased/rented by the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception after 1939 when the Saltcoats property became too large for them. It is not known when the Ardrossan Property was given up but possibly in 1945.

  • Ardrossan Ex Free-Baptist Church

    The Ardrossan Free Church was formed in 1844 and a church built in Glasgow Street. This had a short life and a new church was built in Montgomerie Street in either 1855 or 1859. The 1856 Ordnance Survey sheet still shows it as a Free Chu...

    Site (on far side of bus shelter) from north
    1 photo
  • Ardrossan Ex Free-UF-St John's Parish Church

    A new Free Church was built in Montgomerie Street to replace the one in Glasgow Street in 1859 (55?). The Architect was Campbell Douglas of Glasgow. The church was enlarged in 1889 and halls built. At the union in 1900 with the United Pr...

    Site from south
    1 photo
  • Ardrossan Ex Gospel Hall

    A Brethren Church was formed in 1888 and met in the Female School of Industry in Glasgow Street. Sometime after 1896 took over the Templers’ Hall in Glasgow Street. The Church closed in 2001 and the building is empty at present.

    North Gable and West Entrance Front from north
    1 photo
  • Ardrossan Ex La Misericordes Sisters' Convent

    St Peter’s Roman Catholic Church purchased No 9 as a Presbytery and when No 10 became available in 1945/46 it was purchased for La Misericordes Nursing Sisters as a convent. The building was erected in 1856. The Presbytery moved ou...

  • Ardrossan Ex Mission Hall

    A Mission Hall existed at this location prior to 1897. It is not known what denomination operated this hall. It would appear to have gone out of use in this context prior to 1909 as it is shown but not titled in this edition of Ordnance ...

  • Ardrossan Ex Parish Church 2

    When the church on Castle Hill was damaged in a storm it was a time before a new church could be built. The congregation met in a malt kiln in Kirkhill estate. The new Parish Church was built in Stanley Road in 1697. Little is known abou...

    Site from south
    4 photos
  • Ardrossan Ex Seamen's Mission

    There was a Christian Seamen’s Friendly Society operating in Ardrossan prior to 1951 when it was reported in the Statistical Account.

  • Ardrossan Ex United Secession Church

    A United Secession congregation formed in 1837 and met in a house in Princes Lane. In 1846 a church was built in Glasgow Street and next year following the union with the Relief Church it became a United Presbyterian Church.  A mans...

    North Gable and West Entrance Front from north
    3 photos
  • Ardrossan Ex Verona Fathers' Convent

    The building was purchased/rented by the Verona Father as a convent.  For how long it was used as a convent has not been established.

  • Ardrossan Park Parish Church

    The church was built by the Church of Scotland to replace the one on Glasgow Street to serve the newer suburban community.  It is rectangular with in the centre a steep pitched roof and a flatter pitch over the aisles. The roof is t...

    View from south west
    7 photos
  • Ardrossan St Andrew's Episcopal Church

    The church is simple cruciform in Early English style in pink sandstone by David Thomson of Glasgow and was built in 1874/75. The church is aligned east/west with the chancel at the east end. The latter was extended in 1896. It has short...

    View of church from south
    21 photos
  • Ardrossan St Peter in Chains R C Church

    The church was built by the Roman Catholic Church. The congregation had been meeting in the Assembly Hall in Bute Place and then in the school built in 1882. The church built using Acrington Nori red bricks was designed by T Warnett Kenn...

    View of church from west
    8 photos
  • Ardrossan UP- Church of the Nazarene

    The church started as a United Presbyterian Church (Ardrossan UP Church) in 1857 to the design of Thomas Wallace. It is in Tudor Gothic style and is a simple hall/church orientated to the road in essentially east west. The rear hall was ...

    Church viewed from the north west
    7 photos
  • Salcoats Ex Bethany Hall 2e

    In 1966 the Brethren Church in Vernon Street moved to a new church in Ailsa Road. It is shown as Bethany Hall on the 1967 Ordnance Survey sheet. They continued to meet until 1994 when it closed. The building was sold and is now a childre...

  • Saltcoats Ex Antiburgher-West UP Church

    The church was formed in 1739 and the congregation travelled to Kilmaurs and then in 1758 to Kilwinning. In 1792/93 they were meeting in a hall in Saltcoats and joined the Antiburgher Synod in 1793. In 1800 a small church was built in Gr...

  • Saltcoats Ex Baptist Church

    A group of Baptists started meeting in Saltcoats in 1804 but it ceased in 1840. The location of their meeting place is unknown. However, outreach from Irvine assisted a restart in 1941and the group met in the Masonic Hall. Three years la...

    Exterior - South Gable from south
    1 photo
  • Saltcoats Ex Bethany Hall 2a & 2c

    This Brethren church was formed about 1896 and had a Bethany assembly in Green Street. In 1899 they moved to the Union Hall in Union Street but by 1922 were back in Green Street (Bethany Hall). From there they moved to the Masonic Hall a...

  • Saltcoats Ex Brethren - Apostolic Churches

    This Brethren church was formed about 1888 and had a Bethany assembly in Green Street. In 1899 they moved to the Union Hall in Union Street but by 1922 were back in Green Street (Bethany Hall). It would appear that the building was later...

  • Saltcoats Ex Brethren Assembly 2d

    It would appear that the Bethany Church moved from the Masonic Hall into what had been the Institute in Vernon Street in 1931. It is shown as The Bethany Assembly on the 1964 Ordnance Survey sheet. In 1966 they moved to the Union Hall in...

  • Saltcoats Ex Brethren Church 1b

    From the Gospel Hall in Quay Street this Brethren Church moved in about 1911 into the Union Hall. The database advises that this was in Saracen Street but that street has not been found. However, the Union Hall in Union Street had been b...

  • Saltcoats Ex Brethren Church 4a

    The church was possibly formed prior to 1959 as a hall is shown on the Ordnance Sheet of that year. It is shown as a hall on the 1964 Ordnance Survey sheet. It was closed after 1963. It is now a house.

  • Saltcoats Ex Church of God -Green Pastures

    The Church of God “Green Pastures” is mentioned in the Third Statistical Account of Scotland and would therefore be flourishing about 1951. There is no information at present as to where the church met or if they owned or ren...

  • Saltcoats Ex Congregational Church

    The Congregational Church was formed in 1859 and a building erected in 1862/63. The architect was Lewis Fullarton of Ardrossan and it was in Gothic style. A hipped-roofed hall was added to the rear in 1899. Two further extensions were ad...

    View from north west
    6 photos
  • Saltcoats Ex East UP-Trinity UF-Trinity Church

    The church was built in 1889 to replace the church in Kyleshill. The architects were Baldie & Tennant of Glasgow. Two years later the hall was added to the rear. It was named Saltcoats East United Presbyterian Church. In 1900 followi...

    View of church from south
    4 photos
  • Saltcoats Ex Ebenezer Hall 3b

    About 1922 the Ebenezer Hall was built/rented in Chapelwell Street and the move made from the Masonic Hall. In 1927 this became the Central hall for the Brethren. The church closed in 1953. The location of the hall in Chapelwell Str...

  • Saltcoats Ex Gaelic-North Church

    In 1836 a Gaelic Church of Scotland was erected at the junction of Hamilton Street and Manse Street. It was in Gothic style but had a Saxon doorway. In 1843 at the Disruption the congregation left the Church of Scotland and joined the Fr...

  • Saltcoats Ex Grace Community Chuch

    In 2012 the Grace Community Church from Beith started a mission in a converted shop/office at the corner of Vernon Street and Chapelwell Street. It only lasted until 2015 and then was closed.

    View of building from east
    1 photo
  • Saltcoats Ex Parish Church

    The church was built in 1744 to replace the church in Stanley Road which was more remote or alternatively the chapel of St Medoc which could have been close to this location. In 1773 it was damaged in a storm and was reopened the followi...

    View from south
    10 photos
  • Saltcoats Ex Spiritualist Church

    A Spiritualist Church is mentioned in the Third Statistical Account of Scotland and would therefore be flourishing about 1951. There is no information at present as to where the church met or if they owned or rented a building.

    I...

  • Saltcoats Ex St Brendan's Roman Catholic Church

    In 1965 a Roman Catholic Church dedicated to St Brendan was opened in Simpson Drive. The architects were Rennie & Watson of Saltcoats. The church was closed in 2009 and the building demolished shortly afterwards.

  • Saltcoats Ex St Medan's Chapel

    The church was built as a subordinate of Ardrossan Church according to George Chalmers. It may then have been replaced by the new church in Chapelwell Street in 1744.  It was dedicated to St Medan.

    I Holland 2018

  • Saltcoats Free Gaelic-S B Baptist Church

    The church is simple rectangle orientated essentially north/south. It was built in 1867 as a Free Church of Scotland and as a Gaelic Church to a design by John Honeyman. In 1900 it became South Beach United Free Church following the unio...

    Front gable and entrance porch from north
    6 photos
  • Saltcoats New Trinity Parish Church

    The church was erected in 1866 by the United Presbyterian Church to replace the building in Countess Street. In 1900, it became a United Free Church – Erskine UF Church, and in 1929 it became a Church of Scotland – Erskine Ch...

    View of east gable
    12 photos
  • Saltcoats North Parish Church

    The red brick church is wedge shaped with a v-pitched roof. It was built in 1953/55 by the Church of Scotland as a final replacement for the church in Hamilton Street. The architect was Margaret B Brodie. The initial replacement was a ha...

    View of hall/church from south west
    11 photos
  • Saltcoats Salvation Army

    The church started as a lecture room for the Parish Church to the south of it. It was built prior to 1896 and was used for talks on religious subjects. It ceased to be used in 1908 when the new parish church was built in Caledonia Road. ...

    View of building from north east
    5 photos
  • Saltcoats St Cuthbert's Parish Church

    The church is in white freestone and is a simple rectangle with aisles and tower. It is in Romanesque Revival style in random coursed rock-faced blond ashlar sandstone with fair-faced dressing and designed by Peter Macgregor Chalmers and...

    View of north gable and tower
    40 photos
  • Saltcoats St Mary's Roman Catholic Church

    The church was formed in 1823 and the church, St Mary’s Our Star of the Sea Church, built by the Roman Catholic Church in 1855/56. The architect was James Baird of Airdrie. Random coursed blonde rough sandstone with fair-faced dres...

    Exterior - East Gable & Presbytery from north east
    3 photos