St Ninians Old Parish Church, Stirling

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 79650 91700, map


Address

Kirk Wynd
Stirling
Stirling
Scotland

Description

St Ninians Old Parish Church, Stirling

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was built to replace an earlier structure that was destroyed when gunpowder stored in it by the Jacobite army exploded (St Ninian's Old Church - site 02114). It was built in 1750-1, between 50 and 100 metres east of the original church, in rubble (with cement rendering) with a slate roof. It is a plain, rectangular block, measured at 82ft by 60ft. A porch and vestry were added to the west, while the east wall contained the original entrance. The south wall was rebuilt in around 1940. The walls of the church feature a moulded cornice at eave level. The interior features a three-sided gallery (west, north and east walls) and the pulpit is centrally located. The interior was renovated in the 1940s. J. Dowling, 9/12/04.

Nave

Vestry

Porch

Carved stone

Gallery

Furnishing


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1750)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1940)