Cortachy Old Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39560 59720, map


Address

Angus
DD8 4LX
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Glenprosen Old Church

Introduction

The current parish church of Cortachy, built in 1828 to a Gothic design (see separate site Cortachy Parish Church), stands on the foundations of an earlier, medieval church. This original church dated to at least the late 13th century. It was dedicated to St Columba and granted to Inchaffray Abbey in 1287. In 1429 the Patronage was transferred to Brechin Cathedral. It is thought the church was rebuilt or repaired during its lifetime. It is not clear what date the latest structure was before demolition in the 1820s, but the stones removed were thought to be of 17th century date.

A later burial aisle at the east end of the church was rebuilt in 1828 and attached to the new church. It has ashlar sandstone walls and an inscription panel on the north face stating the aisle was built 'on the site of the old church' by David, 7th Earl of Airlie.

Other than this rebuilt aisle, there are foundation stones which are visible at ground level jutting out from under the current church and aisle. These stones are thought to be the remains of the older church.

JD 2011


Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 4824
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO35NE 2:00
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1008

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Church times to the 17th centuryD MacGibbon and T Ross1896-7Vol. 5, p361
The Statistical Account of Scotland1791-9Vol. 10, p574
RCAHMS: The archaeological sites and monuments of central AngusRCAHMS1984p8
Angus of Forfarshire: the land and people, descriptive and historicalA J Warden1880-5p109-111