Ryehill Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39556 29758, map


Address

Corner of Roseangle/Perth Road/Mid Wynd
Dundee
DD1 4LP
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Formerly St John's Free Church
  • Roseangle Ryehill Church

Introduction

Ryehill church is situated on a very restricted site on the corner of Perth Road and Mid Wynd. It was designed by George Shaw Aitken in 1878 and completed in 1889.  It was originally Ryehill United Presbyterian church, then became Ryehill United Free Church in 1900 and finally Ryehill Church in 1929.   It is a stone built Norman style church with slate roof and a single square tower without a spire, built in ashlar sandstone.  It has a gabled facade facing the Street (South) and very ornamental, traceried windows.  The rounded arched entrance way is flanked by 3 marble pillars on each side set into the stonework. According to Ian McGraw in 'The Friends of Dundee City Archives', it had a fine semi-circular auditorium.  There is what was originally a church house attached the rear and facing East.  The congregation was united with Roseangle Church in 1980 and in 1985 it was converted into 19 flats.  When the church was converted to flats the tops of the pinnacles and the cupola/spire of the tower were removed, giving it a rather decapitated, truncated look today.

J Dowling, L Elder, 2011


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1880)
    People: Mclaren & Aitken