Dalswinton Barony Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NX 93500 84500, map


Address

Dumfriesshire
Scotland

Description

Construction materials: Iron (corrugated) - Used for walls; Iron (corrugated) - Used for roof;

Built in 1881 some 0. 6km south-east of Dalswinton hamlet, and is one of the few remaining examples of 'tin' churches that were popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These churches were made in kit form in Edinburgh and Glasgow and exported overseas as well as being used frequently in Scotland. Corrugated iron buildings were frequently used at this time in new and remote communities especially, due to the material's quick and inexpensive qualities. The six-bay church has Gothic windows and a bellcote with a steep spire at the east gable. There is a small porch at the north-east corner. The interior of the church is timber-lined, and features original pitch-pine pews, pulpit and panelling, and has an open roof. A chancel was formed between a vestry and laird's pew at the west end. Stained glass windows were added in 1950 and 1975. The earlier window is a one-light window of David, while the 1970s one is a semi-abstract window, with scenes of King David. Written and researched by J. Dowling, 23/2/04, 9/12/04.

Furnishing

Date: 1881

Stained Glass

Date: 1950, 1975

Nave

 

Porch

 

Bellcote

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1881)
  • Church: Addition (1950)
    People: (stained Glass)
  • Church: Addition (1975)
    People: (stained Glass)