Trinity Congregational Union Church Site

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40410 30820, map


Address

Victoria Road
Dundee
Angus
DD4 6DT
Scotland

Introduction

This church was built in 1877 by J. Fairlie in the French Gothic style.

The building has been demolished and a block of flats now sits on the site.


Description

 

The building was a tall, imposing town church, with a rectangular plan. The gable frontage received most decoration. It was built in rough-cut red sandstone blocks, with white stone bands. There were polished dressings around the windows and doors. The south face had the entrance doorway and a large, intricate rose-patterned stained glass window. Below this is a course of round-arch, interlinked windows. There were also finials and pinnacles, small bellcotes on the gable edges and a Celtic cross finial on the top. To either side of the doorway was a small shop, each with a door and window, making full use of the commercial oppertunities the urban location offered. When last visited, the church was no longer in ecclesiastical use, and neglect had taken its toll, with broken windows and boarded up doors in the lower sections. The upper part of the south gable had scaffolding around it.

J. Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1877)
    People: J.g. Fairlie