Lochlee - Ex US-UP-St Luke's Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 37872 31630, map


Address

High Street
135 High Street, Lochee
Dundee
Forfarshire
DD2 3BX

Introduction

This church was on the High Street until the 1985 and its image recorded within a publication. The present building on the site is part of a row of connected retail outlets. However, it does contain features reminiscent of ecclesiastical architecture. K. Nichols

The church started life as a United Secession church when it it was built in 1826/1827 to replace the "Little Kirkie"  in Lorne Street. It was enlarged and remodelled in 1856 and in 1874 it was purchased by a Mr Thomas H Cox and presented to the Church of Scotland when it was renamed St Luke's Church. The church united in 1985 with Lochlee Old to become Lochlee Old & St Luke's. St Luke's then closed.


Description

The partial image depicted in Vettraino's publication shows that St. Luke's sat on the upper west portion of the High St and was adjacent to commercial premises and the tram depot. It had an east-west orientation with pinnacled buttresses on the main gable. This gable rose to a bellcote that was within a tapered spire. The entrance porch was also buttressed and a boundary railing served as separation from the pavement. K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church built (1826 to 1827)
    Replaced the "Little Kirkie" in Lorne Street
  • Union with Relief Church (1847)
  • Church enlarged and remodelled (1856)
  • Purchased from UP and given to CoS (1874)
  • Church closed on union with Lochlee Old Chur (1985)
    Building demolished shortly afterwards

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
DUNDEE in the late 19th & 20th CenturyVettraino, ERp16-17