Panmure Trinity Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40220 30530, map


Address

Panmure Street
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Trinity Congregational

Introduction

This Gothic style building is situated on a corner site overlooking a circular public area redeveloped during the nineteenth century. It has a north-south orientation with the principal entry at the south. There are railings around the west and south sides. The east alley leads to the back where only one window is visible. The northern aspects are sealed by large gates and the back of the buildings are on Euclid Crescent. As with all the buildings in this row it has been purchased by Dundee High School and now functions as a library and halls.

K. Nichols


Description

This coursed rubble sandstone church was built by David Bryce in 1855 in the Gothic style. Its south face has a rose window, two octagonal towers and is topped by a Celtic cross. There are two buttresses flanking the main facade, which has a large round window with stone tracery. The wooden door has a hooded doorway with particularly nice carvings at the base of the dripstone. The spires of the towers are slated and have dormer windows in them. The aisle has four butressed bays. 

J. Dowling, K. Nichols