Meadowside Gospel Hall, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40180 30560, map


Address

Bell Street
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This plain former Gospel Hall is located at the north end of a row of three churches in Dundee's Bell Street. As with all the buildings in this row it is now owned by Dundee High School and used as halls. It is located on a site redeveloped during the nineteenth century.

K. Nichols, J Dowling


Description

Meadowside Gospel Hall was built on a corner site in the mid 19th century by James MacLaren. It is rectangular in plan and built in sandstone with a slate roof. Its main elevation faces west with a blocked central arch and a blank heraldic panel above. The present main door is part of a linked extension on the west. The north elevation has a stone framework with corbels but has been infilled with brick. The vents on the roof are original as seen in past images. The five skylights are twentieth century additions.

J. Dowling, K. Nichols


Events:

  • Gospel hall: Build/construction (18M0)
    People: James Maclaren

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10314

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Victorian Dundee at WorshipIan McCraw2002
Dundee: an Illustrated Architectural GuideC McKean and D Walker1993
The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery 1558-1999Ian McCraw1999