Ward Congregational Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40020 30420, map


Address

6-8 Constitution Road
Dundee
DD1 1LL
Scotland

Introduction

With an east-west orientation only the east elevation is obviously visible, which is made more striking by being painted white. The church sits at the base of a hill close to other religious establishments and makes an excellent termination to Euclid Crescent.

Church Website

K. Nichols, J Dowling


Description

The main body of this church was built in 1833 by James Brewster, to a Gothic design. It is rectangular in plan, with a painted ashlar plan and sandstone rubble sides and rear. The front gable has a full-length 4-light traceried pointed-arch window, flanked by paired buttresses. There are carved doorways on either side, leading into the aisles. Fine details worth noting are the paired pilasters and green man carving on the window hoods.

The extensions and additions can be partially seen from a western side street. which were added around 1850 by Charles Edward. These features include an apse with traceried windows and school rooms with arched windows and doors and piended roofs.
The side elevations have three Y-traceried windows and porch on either side. The roofs of these porches are tiles with lead flashing and skylights.

K Nichols, J Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1833)
    People: James Brewster
  • Church: Addition (1850C)
    People: Charles Edward