Bethany Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 38820 29740, map


Address

Taylor's Lane, Perth Road
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Introduction

Bethany Church is housed in an early 20th century building in the west end of Dundee. It looks quite industrial with a red brick front elevation and large windows. Locals say the building began as a Railway Mission, which were often started by women concerned that railway workers could not attend worship because of their hours of work.

Leona Elder 2011


Description (exterior)

This brick-built church was constructed in 1905. It has large round-arch windows with multi-pane glass. There are some sandstone dressings, including the window sills and a large datestone depicting 'BETHANY HALL 1905'.  There are rectangular windows, arranged in groups of three, situated high up elevation, just below the wallhead.

J. Dowling


Description (interior)

The interior is fairly plain with the main place of worship consisting of rows of moveable chairs facing a small platform or lectern with a projector screen behind. The walls are painted white and there are several national flags displayed around the room. There is also a children's room above with painted walls and toys.

JD 2011


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1905)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10321