Broughty Ferry Congregational Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 46080 31000, map


Address

Brook Street, , broughty Ferry
Angus
Scotland

Introduction

Broughty Ferry Congregational Church was built in 1863-4 by James MacLaren. It is rectangular in plan and Gothic in design.


Description (exterior)

The south face has the entrance, and the lower portion of this elevation is painted white. The church is rubble built, with polished dressings. The roof is slated and there are terracotta ridge tiles, most of which are now damaged. The entrance doorway is located to the south, and it is buttressed with trefoil tracery carving. There is a large 3-light window with geometric tracery. Above is a relieving arch and a datestone of 1864.

A church hall was built by John Young and Andrew Meldrum in 1881. It is rectangular and single-storey and Gothic in style. Again, it is rubble built with polished dressings.


Description (interior)

The interior is galleried, with internal stairways and wooden panelling. The wooden pews, pulpit, walls and ceiling are all intact.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1863 to 1864)
    People: James Maclaren