Former Ceres United Presbyterian Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40200 11400, map
AddressCeres War Memorial Hall
Also known as:
- Ceres War Memorial Hall (1920)
Following the end of the Great War, the church became a memorial hall.
- Union Hall (1893)
The church went out of use in the late nineteenth century, after the two United Presbyterian congregations of Ceres merged.
- Ceres United Presbyterian Church (1847)
The church became United Presbyterian in the mid nineteenth century.
- Ceres East (1798)
The church was built as a Relief church, which was termed Ceres East in order to distinguish it from the Antiburgher Church (Ceres Associate Congregation, site 10415), known as Ceres West.
- Ceres Relief Church
This church was built in 1798 as a relief church; it has been known as Ceres War Memorial Hall since 1920.
The church consists of a gabled, single cell, with a porch to the west and an extension to the east. It is harled on its north, south and west faces. The east face is rubble built. It has a Scottish slate roof.
The east elevation has an urn finial on the apex of the gable. On the southeast corner of the building are two adjoining extensions, one flat-roofed and the other slate and hipped. The north and south walls are alike; both are harled and have two rectangular windows with traceried heads with coloured glass. The west wall is also harled. There is a stack on the north edge of the wall, topped by an urn finial.
People / Organisations:
|Relief Church||Denomination||1798-1847||The church was built as a Relief church.|
|United Presbyterians||Denomination||1847-1885||the church became United Presbyterian in 1847 and remained so until it was merged with the St. Andrews Road congregation in 1885.|
- Hall: Build/construction (1798 to 1799)
The church was built as a Relief church.
- Porch: Build/construction (1798 uncertified)
- Hall: New Denomination (1847)
The congregation became United Presbyterian.
- Hall: Closure (1885)
The church went out of use following the union of the two United Presbyterian churches in Ceres.
- Hall: Alteration/conversion (1893c)
By this date the church was in use as a civic hall.
- Hall: Alteration/conversion (1920)
In 1920 the church became a memorial hall.
|Records of Ceres Associate Session, West and St Andrews Road United Presbyterian and United Free Chu - Hardcopy||Reference: GB 227 CH3/54|
|Scran - Online database||Reference: 000-000-109-057-C||Image: Paula Martin|
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 10349|
|Buildings of Scotland: Fife||Gifford, J||1988||p. 123|