Former Ceres United Presbyterian Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40200 11400, map


Ceres War Memorial Hall
Anstruther Road
KY15 5NH

Also known as:

  • Ceres War Memorial Hall (1920)
    Following the end of the Great War, the church became a memorial hall.
  • Union Hall (1893)
    The church went out of use in the late nineteenth century, after the two United Presbyterian congregations of Ceres merged.
  • Ceres United Presbyterian Church (1847)
    The church became United Presbyterian in the mid nineteenth century.
  • Ceres East (1798)
    The church was built as a Relief church, which was termed Ceres East in order to distinguish it from the Antiburgher Church (Ceres Associate Congregation, site 10415), known as Ceres West.
  • Ceres Relief Church



This church was built in 1798 as a relief church; it has been known as Ceres War Memorial Hall since 1920.



The church consists of a gabled, single cell, with a porch to the west and an extension to the east. It is harled on its north, south and west faces. The east face is rubble built. It has a Scottish slate roof.

The east elevation has an urn finial on the apex of the gable. On the southeast corner of the building are two adjoining extensions, one flat-roofed and the other slate and hipped. The north and south walls are alike; both are harled and have two rectangular windows with traceried heads with coloured glass. The west wall is also harled. There is a stack on the north edge of the wall, topped by an urn finial.


People / Organisations:

Relief ChurchDenomination1798-1847The church was built as a Relief church.
United PresbyteriansDenomination1847-1885the church became United Presbyterian in 1847 and remained so until it was merged with the St. Andrews Road congregation in 1885.


  • Hall: Build/construction (1798 to 1799)
    The church was built as a Relief church.
  • Porch: Build/construction (1798 uncertified)
  • Hall: New Denomination (1847)
    The congregation became United Presbyterian.
  • Hall: Closure (1885)
    The church went out of use following the union of the two United Presbyterian churches in Ceres.
  • Hall: Alteration/conversion (1893c)
    By this date the church was in use as a civic hall.
  • Hall: Alteration/conversion (1920)
    In 1920 the church became a memorial hall.

Archive References:

Records of Ceres Associate Session, West and St Andrews Road United Presbyterian and United Free Chu - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH3/54
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-109-057-CImage: Paula Martin
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10349

Bibliographic References:

Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 123