Link Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09210 87080, map


Address

39 Priory Lane
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7ED
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Priory Lane Christian Centre (199L)
  • Liberty Church (1981)
  • Masonic Hall Priory Lane (1913)

Introduction

Link Church is a large, ornate building, which dates to the early 20th century and was built as a Masonic Hall. It was designed by architects Crawford & Fraser and opened in 1913. Its fine Classical design has remained more or less intact inside and out, with few changes or additions. The building is located close to the centre of Dunfermline and its principal elevation faces north onto Priory Lane. It fell out of use as a Masonic Hall in the later 20th century and was subsequently bought and re-opened as Liberty Church in the 1980s. This congregation moved to new premises in the late 1990s and the building is now called Link Church and Christian Centre.

J Dowling 2017




Description (exterior)

This two-storey building is based on a Classical (Greek) design, which is most prominant on the principal north elevation, which fronts onto the street. This face is built with fine ashlar sandstone, with the other elevations largely harled. The hipped, slated roof is largely hidden behind a parapet. The ornate entrance is at the western end of the north elevation. A single-storey building (not part of this building) is attached at the west end of the church.

The three-bay entrance is projected forward slightly from the rest of the north elevation. It has a number of impressive features, including Ionic pilasters, which flank the moulded rectangular doorway. There are two levels of rectangular windows, the first storey ones of which are smaller and deeply recessed. Above is a large frieze with carved panels, moulded eaves, a shallow cornice and a substantial parapet. The long 8-bay north elevation to the east is pedimented and features shallow pillasters and large, deeply-recessed aquare windows at first floor level. It has a similar cornice and parapet as found on the entrance. The east, west and south elevations are hidden from view by neighbouring buildings, but are fairly plain, with harled faces and some ashlar dressing stones.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)

The interior of Link Church is almost entirely un-altered from its original design and lay-out, and is again based around a Classical design, with impressive pilasters, panelled walls and an ornate plaster ceiling. It is a large building with several meeting rooms and a striking main hall. The congregation of Link Church tend to meet in a slightly smaller side hall, but there is access to the larger hall and the spaces are multi-functional, with stackable chairs and moveable furniture.

The area used for worship has a modern layout, with a large screen for a projector in one corner, sound system and an area for music to be performed. A screen behind has a large Celtic-style wooden cross. The original plaster walls and ceiling are painted in contrasting green and white and may be the original design.

J Dowling 2017


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Masonic LodgeOwner1912
Assemblies of GodDenomination199L-NOWThe Link Church is a member of the Assemblies of God.
Crawford & FraserArchitect1913Architects' practice.
Liberty ChurchDenomination1981-199

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1913)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - HardcopyReference: 10430Robert McEwan
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 46942
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M029144
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10430
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: Site number 49391