St. Columba's Roman Catholic Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 37230 14260, map
AddressAshlar Lane, West Port
St. Columba's was built in 1964 by Peter Whiston. It is a circular, harled building with a distinctive Scottish slate roof and chimney spire. The church is situated on the corner of Kirkgate and Lovers Lane o the south west of the parish church (site 1044), on Kirkgate. It is set back from the road, behind a car park and has landscaped gardens to the east and west of the building.
St. Columba's was built in 1964 by Peter Whiston. St. Columba's is a circular, harled building with a distinctive, Scottish slate roof and chimney spire The church is situated on the corner of Kirkgate and Lovers Lane. It consists of a circular nave with a flat-roofed porch to the northwest of the building. The church extends to the southeast via a flat-roofed corridor which leads to annex buildings.
The main body of the church is circular. It is approached by steps from the car park to the north west. The building is harled and supported by a series of concrete buttresses, which have been painted black. A string of clear glass, rectangular windows run just under the wallhead from the east and west sides of the porch. The church is topped by a distinctive chimney spire and simple cross.
The form and layout of the church resembles Liverpool's Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, which was consecrated in 1967. Both buildings were conceived in response to the Second Vatican Council's demand for greater participation by the laity in services. Accordingly, the altar is situated in the centre of the building on a polished wooden platform, and is encircled by pews. Above the altar is a circular light fitting, which hangs below the chimney spire.
The entrance porch is on the north west side of the church. It has a flat roof, which overhangs the northwest face of the porch, sheltering the three square-headed, wooden doors.
To the rear of the church is a flat-roofed, harled corridor, which leads to a harled hall.
People / Organisations:
|Mr Peter Whiston||Architect||1964|
|Miss Stephanie Hunter||Researcher||2007||Provided background information on this site as a volunteer working with SCHR's East Fife Field Officer.|
- Church: Build/construction (1964)
The church was built in 1964. Its architecture reflects the 1962 Second Vatican Council\'s desire for greater lay participation in services.
- Nave: Build/construction (1964)
- Hall: Build/construction (1964)
- Porch: Build/construction (1964)
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 1046||J. Dowling (23/02/04)|
|CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - Hardcopy||Reference: 1046||Research by Paula Martin in 1998 and by J. Dowling in 2004.|
|CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - Hardcopy||Reference: 1046||Research by Paula Martin in 1998 and J. Dowling in 2004.|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: 31555|
|Buildings of Scotland: Fife||Gifford, J||1988||p. 162|
|Cupar, the History of a Small Scottish Town||Martin, Paula||2006|