Auchtermuchty Former Relief Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 23600 11900, map


Address

Westland House
Madras Road
Auchtermuchty
Fife
KY14 7BW
Scotland

Introduction

This small, much-altered structure was originally built as a meeting place for a break-away congregation in the later 18th century. It faces Madras Road, close to the old medieval core of Auchtermuchty and borders a narrow lane on its north side. Much of the building appears to have been demolished, leaving only a section that has been converted into a private garage. The north face of the building now forms part of a tall wall that encloses the grounds of nearby Westland House and it sits within a garden. The church was built to house part of the congregation of the parish church, which split when a row erupted over the Laird of Myres Castle's choice of a new minister in 1767.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The converted building now consists of a single rectangular structure with a large garage door on the street-facing west elevation. The walls are built from whinstone rubble with contrasting red sandstone ashlar quoins and corner stones. The slated roof is hipped at the southern end and the building appears to have been truncated at the northern end, with a straight edge to the roof and poor-quality rubble masonry. A small chimney is located on the ridgeline of the roof at the northern end. The southern elevation, which is now in garden grounds, features a rectangular doorway with a small window above, and this appears to be original to the building. There is a small rectangular window alongside and a later open-ended lean-to structure has been attached at the eastern end of the building. The north elevation faces a narrow lane or path and has a variety of rubble stonework with later cement repair work and no windows or doors.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Relief ChurchDenomination17After breaking with the parish church in 1767, the relief church met in Arnott Street. This building was built sometime after this date when the congregation moved.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1700)
    This church came into use sometime after 1767 when those who objected to the Laird of Myres Castles\' choice of minister broke with the parish church. The congregation originally met in Arnott Street.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
http://www.visitdunkeld.com - Online databaseReference: auchtermuchty-history
http://www.visitdunkeld.com - Online databaseReference: Auchtermuchty-history
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10487