West Wemyss Church of Scotland

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 32690 94820, map


Address

Church Street
West Wemyss
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

This is the site of the first local church in West Wemyss, which was built as a chapel of ease to save the villagers the walk to the Parish Church in East Wemyss.    A plaque on the front wall of the church read '1894-1947' commemorating the fact that the houses were built by the Wemyss Coal Company as a memorial to all who worked in the development of the coalfield on the Wemyss Estate 'surface, undergraound and undersea'.    The plaque disappeared when the church was demolished but the houses referred to are still there built around three pends.       The church was situated behind the middle pend.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1835-1895The church stopped being used after St. Adrian's Church opened in November 1895.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1835)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1895)
    The church stopped being used after the St. Adrian\'s Church opened in November 1895 and was converted to a gymnasium sometime after this.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1990)
    The building was demolished sometime around 1990.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10493

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
West Wemyss Village WalkaboutSave Wemyss Ancient Caves Society2002p. 7