Inzievar House Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 02600 87900, map


Address

Inzievar House
Oakley
Oakley
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

The original owner of Inzievar House was Archibald Smith-Sligo, a wealthy landed gentleman who owned coal mines and the Forth Ironworks at Oakley.   The family were ardent Roman Catholics and were generous benefactors of the church, and included a private chapel in the house. Jules Verne, the French author who pioneered the science-fiction genre, visited the house, which he called Oakley Castle, in the 1850s and he describes some of the interior of the house. The house has now been converted into private flats and the chapel can no longer be seen.    The altar is now in Holy Name Roman Catholic Primary School oratory (site 10523).


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Smith-Sligo FamilyOwner1855-1985
Roman CatholicDenomination

Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (1855 to 1856)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 16642
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: L001212
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10505

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 252