Torryburn Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 01650 86300, map


Address

Old Church House
Main Street
Newmills
Fife
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Newmills Parish Church (1946)
  • Torryburn United Free Church (1900)

Introduction

The village of Newmills is to the west of the village of Torryburn, which is where the Parish Church of Scotland is (site no. 2612). This Free Church was on the main road in the village.     It was built in 1843 following the Disruption.   It was subsequently demolished and a house built on the site.   The low wall which separates the site from the pavement was probably the original church boundary wall. Furthermore, at the western end of the wall there is an ashlar constructed gateway with gablet detail which has the word �MANSE� inscribed in the gablehead which appears to be contemporary with the wall and is therefore likely to be associated with the original church building.    The house which is built on the site is constructed from squared rubble which may have been reused from the demolished church building. In addition, there is a reused date stone of 1843 incorporated into the front of the building.  In the grounds of the house there is a bell which probably came from the church building, and has now been made into a garden feature.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Free ChurchDenomination1843-1900Original denomination.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1843)
    Opened 26th November 1843.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1900)
    The church was demolished, possibly in the late twentieth century, and a house was built on the site.
  • Church: New Denomination (1900)
    Became Torryburn United Free Church.
  • Church: Union (1946)
    Union with Torryburn Parish Church.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M035056
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10519