United Reformed Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 30000 99600, map


Address

Main Street
Coaltown of Balgonie
Fife
KY7 6HZ
Scotland

Also known as:

  • United Reformed Church (1981)
    This is the present name of this church.
  • Church of Christ (1908)
    This was the original name of the church.

Introduction

This church was built in Balcurvie Road in the late nineteenth century and became the United Free church of Windygates in 1899,    Since the present church was built in 1910 (see site 7788) it has been used as the church hall.  


Description

The church is built with ashlar finish,  and a slate roof.

To the east there is a central projecting porch with a door in the southern return and a lancet window on the east face with ashlar quoins.    Flanking this on the main elevation are two lancet windows, and a further small window toward the gablehead, which is surmounted by a cross finial.

The six bay elevations on the north and south have evenly spaced lancet windows with ashlar quoins.    The roof above has three gabled louvres.

On the west elevation there is a lower gabled projection at the rear with two lancet windows on both north and south returns.    The main elevation has a small lancet window at the gablehead with cross finial above.  


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
United ReformedDenomination1981-NOW
Church of ChristDenominationC1908-1981

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1908)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 110464
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10578

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Churches of Christ in the County of FifeHughes, R. W.1998pp. 97-98
Discovering FifeLamont-Brown, Raymond1988p. 75