St Ninian's Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 11200 86800, map


Address

Allan Crescent
Dunfermline
Fife
KY11 4BL
Scotland

Introduction

The congregation of St Andrew's South Parish Church in Dunfermline moved here after the closure of their church in 1951 (see separate site). The original church on this site was a small, temporary wooden structure, which was used from 1951 to 1957, until a slightly larger building was completed in 1957. Fundraising eventually allowed a purpose-built church to be constructed, which opened in 1966. However, maintenance problems resulted in this building being demolished in 1993 and a new church was built, which is the one still used today. It is located in a residential area and has a garden area and car park, enclosed by a low wall and railings.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

St Ninian's is a modern church building, single-storey in height and loosely based on a cruciform plan, with a nave, chancel and narrow transept arms. An extended hall complex is attached at the east end. It was built in breeze blocks and the walls are harled in places, such as on the extended hall structure. The roofs are tiled and there are several roof windows to provide additional light to the interior.

Entry to the church is through the door in the north elevation. It has a gabled window above, which is built into the large, hipped roof of the nave. At the top of the walls are clerestorey windows that provide additional light to the interior. A striking feature of the church is the large window in the west gable, that forms the central part of the gable. Thick wooden transomes and mullions in the window divide it into four large glazed areas and also create a cross. The southern elevation of the church mirrors that of the north, with a central, gabled doorway and a thin clerestorey. The hall and office complex is attached to the east end of the nave. There is a large double door in the north gable, close to the church's car park, which also provides disabled entry. The hall has plain, functional rectangular windows. It was extended to the south fairly recently, which has nearly doubled its size. This extension features a smaller version of the west window in the gable, with a pointed arch and wooden transomes and mullions. A small doorway with external stair is placed in the west side wall of the extension and may serve as a fire exit.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)

The church interior is open, spacious and light and the pine roof structure is a prominent feature. The nave and narrow side aisles are open-plan and have moveable chairs, which creates a large, multi-functional space for worship and other activities. The sanctuary is at the west end of the nave and is lit by the large gable window. The sanctuary is raised up from the nave and carpeted, and features traditional furnishings, including a wooden communion table, pulpit, lectern and organ. There are large organ pipes mounted on the east wall of the nave, a traditional feature of a church in a modern setting. Large double doors with side windows open out into the hall and vestibule area, which forms the main entry into St Ninian's. The hall complex provides a number of smaller meeting rooms and office space, as well as kitchen and storage facilities.

J Dowling 2017


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1993-NOWThis building replaced an earlier Church of Scotland which burned down in 1993. This earlier Hall Church had been constructed in 1957.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1951)
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1957 uncertified)
  • Church: Build/construction (1957)
  • Church: Build/construction (1966)
  • Church: Build/construction (1993 to 1995)
    This building was built to replaced the earlier 1957 church building which was destroyed by fire in 1993.

  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1993)
    Destroyed by fire during restoration work resulting in demolition.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1993)
    Maintenance problems meant this church had to be demolished in 1993.
  • Church: Addition (2000)
    Early twenty first century extension on the south side at the east end.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10580

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Dunfermline: The Post-War YearsMcEwan, B.2004p. 47