Chesterhill Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 56190 13680, map


Address

Chesterhill Chapel (site of)
Chesterhill, Boarhills, KY16 8PP, Fife.
Boarhills
Fife
KY16 8PP
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Boarhills Chapel (1800)

Introduction

The presence of an ancient chapel in this area was known, but it was the discovery of a stone cist in the 19th century that helped locate the site. Boarhills Parish Church was rebuilt in the 1860s and while this work was taking place a stone cist, comprising several stone slabs and containing a burial, was discovered. It may date back as far as the 9th century. Nearly 100 years later, in 1953, a grave digger found another stone cist but there is little information about this as it was not officially recorded. No trace of the actual chapel building have been found and any remains are likely to be under the present 19th century church.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (0800 uncertified)
  • Chapel: Excavation (1865)
    The foundations of the site and associated burials were discovered in advance of the construction of the present church.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Records of Boarhills Kirk Session - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH2/1541
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34285Cist associated with the chapel
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34286Cist associated with the chapel
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34381Chapel and later church
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34381
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8049Duplicate record.