Canmore Street Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09190 87390, map


Address

Canmore Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7PX
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Canmore Street Church (1839)
    Became a Church of Scotland chapel of ease.
  • The Auld-Licht Kirk (1800)
    Established by the Auld Licht faction of the Burgher church which formed in 1798.

Introduction

The Old Licht faction of the Burgher Church was established in 1798 and the Old Licht congregation in Dunfermline established a church on Canmore Street in the following year.   It later became a Church of Scotland quoad sacra church in 1839 before being demolished to provide a site for the construction of the Free Abbey Church (site 10600) in 1844.   (This building was in turn demolished and replaced by another Free Church in 1881-2 (site 10597), which burned down in 1976).  At the time of writing the site was in use as a public car park.  


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1839-1843
Burgher ChurchDenomination1800-1839Auld Licht faction of the Burgher Church.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1799 to 1800)
    Opened towards the end of 1800.
  • Church: New Denomination (1839)
    Became a Church of Scotland chapel of ease.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1843)
    Demolished to make way for the Free Abbey Church (site no. 10600).

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10599

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844p. 408
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879Chapter 8, part 14; Chapter 9, part 9.