Free Abbey Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09190 87390, map


Address

Canmore Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7PX
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Free Abbey Church
  • Abbey and Canmore Street Free Church

Introduction

After the Disruption (1843) the Free Church congregation in Dunfermline purchased the chapel of ease on Canmore Street (originally a Burgher church, site no. 10599). This building was immediately demolished and replaced by the Abbey and Canmore Street Free Church; this name was quickly shortened to the Free Abbey Church. This building was later demolished (1881) and was replaced by the new Free Abbey Church (site no. 10597).


Description

Free Abbey Church

The church had seven hundred and seventy seven sittings. The principal gable is described as 'having two dwared towers, affecting the old Cathedral style, but it is a most decrepit imitation' (Henderson, E. 1879). The building is now demolished, having been replaced by a new Free Abbey Church, built in 1882-4 (site no. 10597).
(Amanda Gow, November 2007)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Free ChurchDenomination1844-1881

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1843 to 1844)
    Opened 21st January 1844.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1881)
    Demolished and replaced by the new Free Abbey Church (site no. 10597).

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844p. 408
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879Chapter 9, part 10.