Masonic Lodge (former church)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 08800 87520, map


Address

Chalmers Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 8DF
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Masonic Lodge (1942)
  • Chalmers Street Parish Church (1929 uncertified)
  • Chalmers Street United Free Church (1900)
  • Chalmers Street-Headwell Parish Church

Introduction

 

Situated near the centre of the town, this church was built in 1861-2 to replace an earlier United Presbyterian church on the same site (formerly an Antiburgher church, see site no. 10598). The church changed denomination several times before becoming a Masonic Lodge in 1942 when the congregation joined with the Queen Anne Street Church (site no. 4684). The building was demolished in the mid twentieth century and the site is now the entrance to the Glen Bridge public car park.


Description

From photographs taken before the demolition of the church it can be seen that the building had a coursed sandstone frontage (western elevation) divided into three bays by full height buttresses set either side of the centre. The west wall was also flanked by buttresses. In the central bay there was a large pointed arch window with a hoodmould above it. Above this window there was a niche or opening. Pointed arched doors in each of the outer bays were set in deeply moulded surrounds. Set above these doors were small broad pointed arched windows.

 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
United PresbyteriansDenomination1862-1900
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929-1942

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1861 to 1862)
    Foundation stone laid in July 1861, church opened 14th April 1862.
  • Church: Union (1942)
    The congregation from this church joined with the Queen Anne Street Church (site no. 4684), which was subsequently renamed Erskine Church. The church building then became a masonic lodge.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1950)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M034823
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: XXXVIII.8.51894 Dunfermline Town Plan 1:500.
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 106437Labelled as United Free Abbey Church.
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10601

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Cairneyhill Church, A Brief HistoryWestwood, H.1993
Dunfermline: The Post-War YearsMcEwan, B.2004p. 47