North Congregational Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09120 87590, map


Address

Queen Anne Place
Pilmuir Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7AA
Scotland

Also known as:

  • North Congregational Church (1896)
  • Trinity Episcopal Church (1842)

Introduction

This church was built in 1842 in the centre of Dunfermline, almost directly opposite the St. Andrew's Erskine Church (site no. 4684). In 1891 the Episcopal congregation moved to a new church at Viewfield (Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, site no. 2265) and this church was bought by the Evangelical Union.

The Evangelical Union was incorporated into the Congregational Union in 1896 and this church became the North Congregational Church. In 1974 this congregation joined with the Canmore Congregational Church (now the United Reform Church, site no. 2264). At this time the church was sold and became a carpet warehouse. The building was demolished in the late 1980s and today there is a temporary taxi rank on the site. The gateposts from this church are now located at the entrance to the new bus station (which was under construction at the time of writing).


Description (exterior)

The church was cruciform, in the gothic style, and had a highly ornamented eastern elevation. The western chancel stained glass window was by Mr Wailes of Newcastle.


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Episcopal ChurchDenomination1842-1891
Congregational UnionDenomination1896-1974
Evangelical UnionDenomination1891-1896

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1841 to 1842)
    Opened 25th October 1842.
  • Church: New Denomination (1891)
    The Episcopal congregation moved to a new church at Viewfield (site no. 2265) and this church was bought by the Evangelical Union.
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1974)
    Became a carpet warehouse (Warner Harress Carpets).
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1980)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 106746
Dunfermline Press Archives - Online databaseReference: 1891

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Dunfermline: The Post-War YearsMcEwan, B.2004p. 47
The Scottish Burgh Survey: Historic Dunfermline, Archaeology and DevelopmentDennison, E.P;Stronach, S.2007pp. 59, 86
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844p. 322
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879Chapter 9, part 9.