Gospel Hall, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51000 16700, map


Address

41 Market Street
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9NT
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Christian Brethren Church St. Andrews

Introduction

The Gospel Hall in St Andrews is part of a terrace of buildings that front onto the cobbled, narrowing east end of Market Street, close to the town centre. Most of the buildings in this part of the town are 18th and 19th century in date, with some more recent additions and rebuilds. It is believed the Gospel Hall building was rebuilt in 1906, when it was converted from a residential property to an upholsterer's shop. It was then used as a fishmonger's (1907-8), a cabinetmaker's (1909-11) and as the Junior Boy's Conservative Club (1912-13). The building was first used by the group then known as the Plymouth Brethren in 1914, when they rented it from Euphemia and Margaret Low for £17 per year. (Valuation Rolls).   The congregation grew in the 1930s and fishermen from St Monans would cycle the fairly long distance to St Andrews to attend meetings there, as there was not yet a Gospel Hall group in St Monans (personal communication). The Gospel Hall is still in full use today.


Description (exterior)

The Gospel Hall was quite clearly originally a shop or other business (even without knowing its history). The large plate glass ground floor windows and recessed central doorway are typical features of Victorian and Edwardian retail premises, many of which can still be seen elsewhere in St Andrews. The two storey structure is built in coursed sandstone and has a slate roof.

The ground floor is dominated by the two large former shop windows, which provided ample space for the business owner to display their goods and also gave the ground floor a lot of natural light. The central doorway is no longer is use and blocked from the inside. Access to the building is now via a doorway in the round-arched passageway at the east end, which would have originally been a separate entrance for the flat above. Above the ground floor windows is a large timber-framed panel with 'GOSPEL HALL' painted in large letters. At first floor level are two rectangular sash windows.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)

The front ground floor room, used for services, is approximately 4 metres by 4 metres in size. Originally there were wooden pews, which have now been replaced by chairs. The services are led from a wooden lectern and table in one corner of the room. The first floor of the building is used for bible study.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Gospel ChurchDenominationNOW

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10603

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Valuation roll for the Burgh of St Andrews1900-1910 (site 526-558), 1910-1920 (site 267-269)