St Andrews South Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09120 87260, map


St. Margaret's Street
KY12 7PE

Also known as:

  • St. Andrew's South Parish Church (1929)
  • St. Andrew's United Free Church (1900)
  • St. Andrews Free Church (1847)



This church was built as a Free Church in 1847 and then became a United Free Church and later a Church of Scotland. In 1951 the congregation moved to a new church at Whitelaw Road (St. Ninians, site no. 10580). The old church building was sold to Thomas Black in 1954 who used it as a market hall until it was damaged by fire in 1977 and was subsequently demolished. Today there is modern housing on the site. However, the site is bounded on the west (front) by stepped sandstone walls with large square plan ashlar gatepiers which may have been associated with the church building.

Description (exterior)

The church was built on a square plan with five hundred and seventy sittings. It was set slightly back from the road with steps leading up to the central front door. There were angled buttresses on the corners of the principal (west) elevation.

Description (interior)

People / Organisations:

Free ChurchDenomination1847-1900
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929-1951


  • Church: Build/construction (1847)
    Opened 23rd May 1847.
  • Church: Abandonment (1951)
    The congregation moved to a new church, St. Ninian\'s in Whitelaw Road (site no. 10580).
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1954 to 1977)
    Used as a market hall.
  • Church: Damage (1977)
    Destroyed by fire and subsequently demolished.

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10427
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet 41854 Dunfermline Town Plan 1:1056.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: XXXIX.5.61894 Dunfermline Town Plan 1:500.

Bibliographic References:

A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007pp. 367-8
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844p. 408
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879p. 657
Dunfermline: The Post-War YearsMcEwan, B.2004pp. 47-9