Abbot Hall

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09170 87400, map


Address

Abbot Hall
Wilson's Close
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7NW
Scotland

Introduction

Abbot Hall has been a place of worship since 1914 and is where a Brethren group meet. It is a meeting hall and located in Wilson’s Close, close to Dunfermline Abbey. Only the western elevation of the building is visible as it is surrounded by other buildings. It fronts onto the street and is attached on either side by other buildings.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

Abbot Hall is a two-storey building with rubble-built, harled walls at lower level and coursed sandstone above. It has a double-pitched slate roof. The main entrance is a large, square-headed doorway with decorative jambs and a blank round arch above, in ashlar masonry. There are five rectangular sash and case windows in the upper level and a large round-arched stairwell window at one end.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)

The meeting room is on the first storey and is large and well-lit. There are plain wooden pews with two passageways inbetween and a raised stage area is located at one end of the room. There is a wooden lectern and chairs, along with a small organ to the side.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
EvangelicalDenomination1914-NOWEvangelical Church of the Christian Brethren Tradition.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10614