Relief Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09060 87590, map


Address

Chapel Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7AW
Scotland

Introduction

This congregation was founded in 1752 and the Relief church was built in 1775. The building became dilapidated and was demolished in 1847 and a new building was to be constructed on the same site (the present Gillespie Church, site no. 4685). Whilst the congregation was awaiting the construction of the new church they met in the Maygate Chapel from 1847-9 (site no. 10424). The Gilespie Church opened as a United Presbyterian Church in 1849.



Description

Relief Church


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Relief ChurchDenomination1775-1847

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1775)
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1847)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: John Wood 1823, Plan of the Town of Dunfermline from actual survey.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: John Wood 1823 Plan of the Town of Dunfermline from actual survey.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: John Wood 1823 Plan of the Town of Dunfermline from actual survey.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007p. 95
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.18791770, 1774, 1775, 1790, 1830, 1835, 1876