Masonic Lodge

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09010 87390, map


Address

Maygate
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7NE
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St. John's Masonic Lodge
  • Maygate Masonic Lodge

Introduction

The first Masonic lodge in the town was built in at Millport in 1762. Two subsequent lodges were then built, in Bridge Street and Maygate. The Maygate lodge was used by several different congregations in the nineteenth century and was later demolished.


Description

Masonic Lodge

Building now demolished.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
CampbellitesDenomination1841Home of the Campbellite congregation after a split of the St. James Street Baptist congregation (site no. 10619).
MethodistDenomination1814-1816Congregation worshipped here whilst they waited for their church to be constructed on the adjoining site (site no. 10424).
FreemasonsOwner1762A

Events:

  • Masonic lodge: Build/construction (1762A to B1823)
    Uncertain construction date.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: John Wood 1823, Plan of the Town of Dunfermline from actual survey.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet 4 Dunfermline Town Plan 1854 Scale: 1:1056.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: XXXVIII.8.10Dunfermline Town Plan 1894 1:500.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007p. 233
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844p. 231