Baptist Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09290 87570, map


Address

James Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7QA
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Mission Hall
    Depicted as this on 1896 Dunfermline Town Plan.

Introduction

This church was built at a cross roads in central Dunfermline with three hundred and ten sittings in 1834. In 1841 the congregation split; those adhering to Scottish Baptist principals remained at this church whilst those adopting English Baptist principals made the Music Hall in North Inglis Street (site no. 10623) their new place of worship. Another part of the congregation adopted Campbellite principles and they worshipped in the Old Mason Lodge in Maygate (site no. 10618). This church has now been demolished, possibly when the Kingsgate shopping centre was constructed; the street layout in this area was also altered at this time.


Description

Baptist Chapel


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
BaptistDenomination1834

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1834)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet 51854 Dunfermline Town Plan, 1:1056
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: XXXIX.5.11896 Dunfermline Town Plan, 1:500
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet 51854 Dunfermline Town Plan, 1:1056.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: XXXIX.5.11896 Dunfermline Town Plan, 1:500.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007pp. 199, 325
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879p. 635
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844pp. 322, 411