Gillespie Centre (Former Church)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09060 87590, map


Address

Gillespie Centre
Chapel street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7AW
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Church of Christ (1891)

Introduction

The Gillespie Centre is a former 19th century church that is located alongside the Gillespie Memorial Church, in the centre of Dunfermline. It was built in 1891 and was for a long time used by the Church of Christ. It fell out of use as a place of worship in recent years and was acquired by Gillespie Memorial Church, who have refurbished the former church and created a community hub for use by many local groups and societies. A recent grant has allowed for extensive interior refurbishments to take place and expand its use to provide catering and a cafe, as well as multi-functional meeting rooms.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The Gillespie Centre is a fairly small former church building, but its principal elevation, the west gable, has a number of quality features. It was built with yellow/grey sandstone and has a tile roof, which likely replaced a slate original. The space around the building has been semi-pedestrianised with concrete mono-blocks, which extends to the neighbouring Gillespie Memorial Church.

The west gable of the former church provides the main entrance into the building. It is faced with quality sandstone blocks and has ashlar dressings. The lower section of the gable is stepped. The round-arched doorway is centrally placed and has small, stepped buttresses and a fanlight above the rectangular door. Trefoil-headed windows with stained glass flank the doorway and they are all linked by a moulded stringcourse, which extends into hoodmoulds above the windows and doorway. Above, at gallery level, is a three light window, which has matching hoodmoulds and stringcourse. A small round vent is placed high in the gablehead.

The sides of the Gillespie Centre are less ornate than the west front and are built from lower quality coursed sandstone rubble. Gabled-headed windows extend above the wallhead to form dormers. they have rectangular, leaded glass. At the rear (east end) of the building is a small, single-storey extension or hall. It has a hipped roof and partly harled walls and there is a door in the north side.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)

The interior of the former church has been extensively renovated and altered to create a number of meeting spaces, rooms and a large hall. There is a cafe area and kitchen, small private meeting rooms, a theatre and a hall that can accomodate 60 people. The facilities are used by a wide variety of local groups and charities and the different rooms and hall can be hired out to other businesses and groups.

J Dowling 2017


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1975-NOW
Church of ChristDenomination1891-1975

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1891)
    Consecrated in December 1891

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: XXXVIII.8.5Dunfermline Town Plan, 1894, Scale: 1:500. Marked as 'Christian Meeting House'.
Dunfermline Press Archives - Online databaseReference: 1891

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007p. 96
Journal guide to DunfermlineMackie, J. B.1905p. 117
Churches of Christ in the County of FifeHughes, R. W.1998pp. 112-121