Chapel Kirk

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09040 87560, map


Address

Chapel Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7AW
Scotland

Introduction

After the death of the Rev. Thomas Gillespie in 1774 (Gillespie had played a key role in founding the Relief Church) part of his congregation campaigned for ministerial and Christian communion within the established church. After five years the General Assembly granted them this Chapel of Ease (in 1779) and the Rev. John Monteith was ordained as the minister of this church the following year. By 1832 the church was considered to be too small and it was demolished. A new larger church was constructed on this site and it opened the following year (St. Andrew's Church, site no. 8412).


Description

Chapel Kirk

This chapel of ease was located at the southern end of North Chapel Street on the eastern side, although the street layout in this area has been altered since this church was present.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1799-1832

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1779 to 1780)
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1832)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: John Wood 1823, Plan of the Town of Dunfermline from actual survey.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007p. 95
The Scottish Burgh Survey: Historic Dunfermline, Archaeology and DevelopmentDennison, E.P;Stronach, S.2007p. 60
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879Chapter 8, part 11; chapter 9, parts 7 and 8.
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844pp. 406-7