St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09670 87700, map


Address

Holyrood Place
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7QG
Scotland

Introduction

The Roman Catholic congregation in Dunfermline was established in 1823 and at this time they met in the houses of two of the members. At this time they had no minister and as such mass was not conducted during these services. By 1851 the congregation had moved to the Mason�s Hall on Queen Anne Place and then in 1859 they moved again, this time to a large music hall, possibly the Dunfermline Music Hall on North Inglis Street (site no. 10623). In 1871 construction began on a permanent place of worship and in 1873 a church opened on Martyr�s Place (now Holyrood Place). Groom states that this church was actually a rebuild of a previous church on this site but no further information could be found relating to this. The Martyr�s Place church has now been demolished, possibly due to the construction of the larger Roman Catholic church nearby, St. Margaret�s Memorial Church (site no. 4682), built in 1894-6.


Description (exterior)

St. Margaret's Roman Catholic Church

St. Margaret's Roman Catholic Church, in Holyrood Place, rebuilt in 1871-73 after designs by Thornton Shiells, of Edinburgh, consists of an aisleless nave and a semicircular apse, with two semicircular chapels projecting therefrom. This information was taken from Frances Groome (1885). The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland.


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Mr Robert Thornton ShiellsArchitect1871-1873
Roman CatholicDenomination1873

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1871 to 1873)
    Opened 23rd March 1873.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1885A uncertified)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M006997

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A History of the \'Fitpaths\' and Streets of Dunfermline, Then and NowPitcairn, S.2007p. 126
Annals of DunfermlineHenderson, E.1879p. 697